FORUMS: list search recent posts

27H Varicam to firewire out

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Kaufman
27H Varicam to firewire out
on Nov 6, 2009 at 1:28:39 pm

Hi everyone,

Is there a simple way to get firewire out of a 27H Varicam? We do not want to roll tape simultaneously.

thanks

Thomas Kaufman, DP
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
Re: 27H Varicam to firewire out
on Nov 7, 2009 at 1:18:58 am

This one's easy. The Varicam (F or H) doesn't have a Firewire out at all. You can though, get HD-SDI out to feed to an external recorder or computer for capture.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 8, 2009 at 6:25:53 am

Or use an HDX900..has firewire out..

Return to posts index

Thomas Kaufman
on Nov 8, 2009 at 2:47:05 pm

Guys,

I know the Varicam does not have a firewire out and I know the HDX does.

Let me rephrase the question: in this time of HPG20's and Nanoflash, is there an external peripheral device that takes an HD-SDI signal and from it creates a firwire output?

thnaks

Thomas Kaufman, DP
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Nov 8, 2009 at 3:20:48 pm

No HD-SDI to Firewire converters that I have seen. What about the AJA Ki?

http://www.aja.com/products/ki-pro/

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Nov 10, 2009 at 8:43:09 pm

I was looking through the AJA website convertors just to make sure but I dont think there is a HD-SDI to firewire solution.

Are you just trying to bypass tape or do something else?

Cheers,

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Kaufman
on Nov 10, 2009 at 10:30:22 pm

I have clients who want to go to Firestore, but I would need to somehow get a firewire output from the Varicam. So fat I have not seen anything that can do that...

thanks

Tom

Thomas Kaufman, DP
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Nov 11, 2009 at 4:05:01 am

I just spoke with my DIT to confirm and there is no way we know of to do that off the tape based Varicam. Sorry.

Good luck with your shoot.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

dusty powers
on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:09:13 am

Thomas:

Good luck finding a HD-SDI to Firewire converter box. I have not seen anything small enough to fit on a camera. Do you own the Firestore or is it the clients? If your client owns the Firestore then I'm sure they want to make it easy and walk away from the shoot with it. If you owned it then there are (large)converter boxes on the market you can use to convert the footage over on via tape play back then pass it on to the client via Firestore). My suggestion is to look at purchasing a NanoFlash or something along that line. (It's rumored that Panasonic is coming out with something soon to compete with the Nano). This way you can roll tape and the Nano or just roll the Nano. Nano will be able to handle 720 24p and 30p on their next firmware upgrade. Right now only 720 / 60 only (for the varicam).

Hope this helps.

dusty powers
http://www.hdcrew.net

Return to posts index

Thomas Kaufman
on Dec 9, 2009 at 12:55:04 pm

Hi Dusty

Thanks for your email. I've just used the Nano on a job and love it, as did my client. It beats the Firestore in several ways.

Wondering what Panny is dreaming up...

Thomas Kaufman, DP
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

dusty powers
on Dec 9, 2009 at 3:16:48 pm

I'm excited to see small camera mounted recorders coming out. Just need to improve the process of moving the media as well as long term storage. If Panasonic is coming out with an onboard recorder it would wise if they stayed away from the proprietary P2 card and allowed recording to CF or SD cards as well.

dusty powers

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 9, 2009 at 3:26:20 pm

Dusty,

I went to a Sony event last night at the Motion Picture Academy in Hollywood entitles "HDCAM-SR 2.0" where they showed their own solid state media; about the same size as P2 card but planned to be 1 Terabyte! Also capable of writing 4K 444 at 60p with 4:1 compression.

But you're write about archiving; this part of the equation needs to be figured out before the ultimate benefit and acceptability of data based video will be universally accepted. The benefits of ingest at high speed, up to 12x real time I recall from last nights presentation (3 or 5 Gb/ second?) and transport full quality media at these speeds now becomes the new "Holy Grail".

Stay tuned and fasten your seat belts!

JS

Return to posts index

dusty powers
on Dec 9, 2009 at 4:45:46 pm

Hey John:

My seatbelt is fastened and I try my best to keep it wrapped tight over my wallet these days. I love today's technology as much as you do, but man it's expensive.

Since I started Freelancing 30 years ago I've bought 10 cameras. I don't run a so called public rental business, it's an owner/operator business. One camera every three years. That's a chunk of change. These are large expensive cameras. Not small cameras. I've bought many of those as well. 8s, Hi-8s, Lipsticks,999s,PDs,P2s and EXs. Maybe 15 or 20 in total? I can't remember. Oh, don't forget about the VTRs that the soundguy had to lug around, 3/4 and early beta. Then we had to buy the betas to mount on the cameras so we had to buy the camera to mount the beta. A lot of money spent on camera systems in the past. It's the price of trying to keep up with technology and what the clients want.

I'm still traveling around with multiple formats because my client all want something different because they all have a different workflow process. I don't see this changing until the digital workflow is improved. Right now it's up to the cameraman to provide the necessary format to the client. The digital image we provide right now can be mixed, color corrected and made to match almost any other camera on the market.

I think we need a simple standard archive system on our client's end which can work with in conjunction with all the camera media and NL edit systems.

My standard line has been, "It's not the format that counts, it's what you do with the format". The Client's line is, "It's the format that counts and what you do with it". We need to find a way to get around this. It's getting close, but it's not there yet. Best!

dusty powers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]