FORUMS: list search recent posts

Print HD to SD video

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Rosson
Print HD to SD video
on Oct 25, 2009 at 2:33:20 pm

Folks,
Shooting with recently purchased hdx900.
Editing in HD -- outputting for now to SD DVD's with an eye to BRD for the future.
Edit system is still set up to output to SD tape for masters.
At what stage do I need to downconvert to get there? And how?
Seems logical to stay in HD until output -- but in FCP do I go through Compressor? I've never used Pro Res, but don't see it in Compressor as an output option.
Thank you,
JR

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
Re: Print HD to SD video
on Oct 26, 2009 at 12:06:50 am

You can output from your FCP HD timeline to Compressor (Export a by reference movie) Just use one of the presets in Compressor for SD DVDs. There are a few things to adjust for maximum video quality/audio and frame size 4:3 or 16:9. But, it's pretty simple process.

Check out this link for some good info.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/compressor2_custom_presets.html

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Oct 26, 2009 at 1:47:32 pm

Hi Ernie -

Am glad you contribute to this forum -- thank you.

I'm familiar with Compressor -- but still seek a way to export from FCP HD timeline to SD videotape.

I know the process to make an SD DVD from the HD material. But in the past I've seen DVD players 'go south' in a public forum, and always like to have a tape on hand with which to play the material. I guess I'm looking for the tape equivalent to the SD DVD made from HD material.

It's easy enough to make a QT movie -- but how to print that to video remains the issue. There's got to be a way -- but I've not found it yet.

Thank you,
JR

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:29:40 pm

Sorry, if I mis-read your question. OK, to go from an HD timeline to SD videotape (which format are you trying to layoff to - BetaSP?) you will need an I/O interface.

One of the more poplular I/O's are the AJA units. They have I/O's for every budget and format, HD in/out or less expensive Analog I/O etc which connects either to your computers Firewire port or is a dedicated PCI Express card. These have either HD connections and/or Component video, analog audio and RS422 ports for machine control. You can use that to layoff to SD tape.

http://www.aja.com/products/io/io-hd.php

There are other companies that make these interface I/O's, but many of us swear by AJA products and their unparalleled customer service. I have both the IoLA and Kona 3

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Oct 26, 2009 at 3:04:14 pm

Ernie,

I forgot to mention one of the most critical steps in the process.
After the export using QT conversion - you have to drag the DV stream movie back into FCP in order to use the print-to-video function.

JR

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:35:02 pm

Ernie --

Found it.
From the HD timeline -- I chose Export>QT conversion>DV stream.
Then, the 'options' box allows settings of DV NTSC - 16:9 48 kHz. It comes out letterboxed -- I'm going to play with the settings to see if I can get a version that will play full screen 16:9 on a digital monitor (I'm using an older 4:3 monitor).

The print was good -- graphics solid and quality sharp.

I don't know that others will find this handy -- but it gives me the tape version of the SD DVD shot with HD -- and secure backup that makes me comfortable when a lot of work goes into a product and it will be shown in a public forum.

Thank you for your help.

JR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]