FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fire wire shoot

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Probyn
Fire wire shoot
on Oct 17, 2009 at 12:53:15 am

Didnt record to laptop simultaneously as guess what... the cable was wrong.. :) they had 400 to 800 but the camera end plug was for small camera,s not the HDX900 size.
Only 20mins of footage so we transferred back at their office to an older mac with 400 to 400 with the correct cable.
Is there not yet a 400 to 800 cable for HDX 900 to the new mac laptops ? no doubt have the same thing somewhere down the line.

Besides head time.. is play back from the camera actually doing any harm.. Ive always resisted doing it when asked..

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
Re: Fire wire shoot
on Oct 18, 2009 at 5:13:53 pm

Here's my twisted logic on the subject.

I transfer to FCP from my camera as I don't have a deck. The economy is so frickin' tight and I just can't afford to buy a deck. In my market (Denver) There is only one rental house and they wanted $750/day - ouch. I tried that a few times, but said screw it. I am just very careful NOT to do any shuttling, just rewind and play start to finish without stopping. (I log clips into FCP on the fly)

My thought on head-wear is this. I've owned my camera for over 3 years. I knew that tape-less recording was coming in the next few years So, I figured that the cost to replace the heads would be about $4K. vs. buying a $20,000 deck. Even if I had to replace them once or twice, I'd be way ahead of the game. (For mastering back to tape, I just take my exported FCP file to a local edit house and for about $75 layoff to one of their decks.

In the past 3 years, I have not had any issues with heads. So, by not spending the $20K has really saved me money (and may have kept me in business through these tough economic times.) I did buy a Firestore, but didn't like it - too bulky and flaky. Any day now, there's going to be another recorder like the tiny NanoFlash HD-SDI Compact Flash recorder that I can use to record tapeless.

Note: This was my decision and your mileage may vary.

OK, flame suit on. Hit me!

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Oct 18, 2009 at 6:25:15 pm

Hi Ernie,

No flames, but I own both a 1200A and 1400 deck to accompany my four Varicams and have to say that they were both in profit before the cameras and have been a very valuable accessory for both backup recording, playback, making clones/downconverts and digitizing. It has always been my philosphy to have the deck to accompany each format as it allows great flexibility and another way to profit from each format. The only exception to this has been in HDCAM, where I don't have any decks to support my F900R's, but I don't seem to have suffered here as most HDCAM clients have their own playback decks.

With the new HD XDCAMs (PDW700/800) I have both the PDW-HD1500 deck (with SD and 24P options) and the PDW-U1 Reader/Writer and thisprovides a really inexpensive means to import the media and I can even "lend" the PDW-U1 to a client who would otherwise be reluctant to adopt the format, until they decide to adopt it and spend $2900 on their own.

JS

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Oct 18, 2009 at 8:00:17 pm

John, that's great. I wish I could have a few decks in house. But, I'm just a small, one-man company. I only edit what I shoot, no outside clients only the agencies and corporate clients I have. I guess, I'm just between a rock and a hard place. Margins are thin and I have to really justify any large expenses.

I was just chatting with a friend who owns a medium size production company. I was asking about doing a layoff to HDCam for me. He doesn't own an HDCAM deck either. He says almost all footage brought in to his house is on file formats of HD and especially in RED right now. Tape is going away really fast.

Even distribution. Some of our local stations are accepting spot directly uploaded to their servers, no more tape at all. That goes for cable too. I exclusively send spots to Comcast by FTP. It's all changing pretty darn fast right now.

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]