FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digitising Varicam 25fps / 60fps into Avid PAL project

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Law
Digitising Varicam 25fps / 60fps into Avid PAL project
on Sep 19, 2009 at 10:09:42 am

My first post here and I'm not sure if this is better suited to this forum or the Avid one.

I'm an editor in the UK and about to start on a new project - a docu-drama shot on a mixture of HDCam (for the interviews) and Varicam (for the drama sequences). The reason for using Varicam for the drama shoots was for the higher quality slomos. The show is to be broadcast on UK television - it will be a PAL standard definition edit.

What I had been told about Varicam before the project was that if we always shot either 25fps or 60fps then we would NOT need to use a frame converter to digitise into Avid, as the Panasonic decks handle these 2 frame rates natively - it was just a case of switching the deck into the right mode.

Now, however, after we have shot everything, we are being told that EVERYTHING shot at 60fps will need to be frame converted before being digitised into the Avid. If this is true, it will cost us a lot of money because the post facility charges for frame conversion by the tape and we have shot almost all Varicam footage at 60fps.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this and wondered if someone here might have experience of Varicam on PAL productions and could tell me what their experience was with this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]