FORUMS: list search recent posts

VariCam 3700 vs Canon 7D HDSLR for Theatrical Release

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Andreas
VariCam 3700 vs Canon 7D HDSLR for Theatrical Release
on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:03:34 am

For this major theatrical documentary I have been asked to do a shoot out between the new P2 VariCam and the new Canon 7D HDSLR (which is coming out shortly).

I know its like comparing a the new X6 to a Sportsbike, two completely different beasts. Apparently some think that the Canon could achieve a better look dueto the shallow DoF.

Having shot with the 5DMKII I am concerned about the viability of using a still camera on a large documentary (3 units 6 Weeks multiple countries). The things that bothered me included viewing, form factor and ergonomics, compression (h.264) as well as thermal issues (camera overheated after using if for more than 15 or 20 minutes)

Any feed back and thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated as we are about to embark on a test-shoot with film-out -- should be very interesting.

Daniel Andreas
Director of Photography
Los Angeles
DVW970 DigiBetacam PAL
SDX900
HDX900

http://www.PALHD.com

Return to posts index

Fermin Branger
Re: VariCam 3700 vs Canon 7D HDSLR for Theatrical Release
on Sep 21, 2009 at 2:14:25 pm

Hi, Daniel.
I have an hpx-3700 and I've been making documentaries and features using all kind of cameras for 15 years. If you can choose, I recommend to use the 3700 because it is a camera developed with all the needs of this bussines in mind. It is a work horse that will work great in any location and time, with one of the most amazing quality of the hi end market. You must think in ergonomics, in have peace of mind, but you must think in all the workflow matters too; I'm sure that your editor will thank you for sinc-ed audio and easy workflow.
In both cases you must be so carefull backuping media too.

If isn't a dramatic matter of costs, you must go trough the 3700 way. But if you need a discret 2nd camera for a less invasive and intimidating presence, take a HDSRL with you.

All the best

Fermin Branger
ALFARERIA CINEMATOGRAFICA
Caracas, Venezuela.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2009 at 4:37:50 am

Add a depth of field adapter to the 3700 and the only reason you might want the 7D will now be moot.

Return to posts index

Joe Fountain
on Oct 14, 2009 at 4:26:04 am

I guess another deciding factor will be how long your interviews will be. The 7D is limited to approximately 12 minutes before it stops recording. As for DOF, you can get the required DOF with lens choice and several different lenses can cost much less than an adaptor, it will also cut down on prep time, extra glass between the lens and CMOS, will be a lot lighter, easier to transport, less invasive, large CMOS, better low light etc. Also, the sound issues aren't a concern as you can plug a mic into this camera. I could be bias because I own one and I have just ordered my second one as am way impressed by this glorious box of goodness.

You could always use it as a second cam??? :)

Will be interested to know which way you go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]