FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tape Varicam in P2 Workflow

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Elley
Tape Varicam in P2 Workflow
on Sep 9, 2009 at 11:08:45 pm

We have been shooting a program entirely on P2 with great results. For various reasons, we will have to add a traditional tape-based Varicam to the mix for several shoots without the luxury of a deck.

I am interested in the most time efficient means to transfer the tape-acquired footage into our tapeless workflow. Furthermore, I'm curious how to do it while preserving the individual clips created when the record button was pressed each time.

Here are some options we're considering. Your thoughts or alternatives?

1. Use HD/SDI to transfer from the tape Varicam to an HPX500 (P2). This won't preserve clips, will it?

2. Use HD/SDI to capture from the tape Varicam to a Final Cut Pro workstation. Will this preserve clips?

Other ideas?

Thank you,
Chris Elley

Electro-Fish Media LLC
Austin, Texas

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Tape Varicam in P2 Workflow
on Sep 9, 2009 at 11:27:44 pm

[Chris Elley] "1. Use HD/SDI to transfer from the tape Varicam to an HPX500 (P2). This won't preserve clips, will it?"

Nope. Not unless you start and stop the camera manually. That device takes a feed...and the only time new clips are created is when you manually start and stop the capture.

[Chris Elley] "2. Use HD/SDI to capture from the tape Varicam to a Final Cut Pro workstation. Will this preserve clips? "

Only if you Log and Capture...manually mark IN and OUT points and log each as a clip. But that should be done anyway. FUnny, most people (including me) HATE the fact that P2 makes tons of individual clips. Well, unless it was a narrative shoot. If it was a doc, we want a whole string of footage to shuttle thru.

Well, you have the camera...capture from the camera. But you can't do it with HD SDI and retain timecode, as the camera doesn't have RS-422 deck control. You can to it via firewire and all should be well.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Sep 10, 2009 at 12:44:25 am

Maybe I misunderstood, but Varicam does not have firewire. If you want to use the camera as a playback deck you have to come HD-SDI out.

JS

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 10, 2009 at 12:46:38 am

Really? Well crap. But you can't get timecode out of that thing into an NLE...no RS_422. Not designed to be used as a deck.

What a pickle.

Shane

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Sep 10, 2009 at 1:02:30 am

Shane,

Time code (and audio too of course) is embedded in the HD-SDI signal. Can't the Kona card figure it out? I know it asks whether it's VITC. If so it has to be coming through the video signal vs. the deck control.

JS

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 10, 2009 at 3:38:05 am

I know that that SDI carries timecode, I just don't think that FCP references it. FCP needs deck control via firewire or RS-422...I think. I haven't had to try to capture from the camera, so I can't say for sure.

I wonder if the AJA VTR Exchange will read that code. That is a GREAT capture utility.

Shane

Return to posts index

Chris Elley
on Sep 10, 2009 at 7:35:47 pm

It's probably a stretch, but would it work to run TC OUT from the camera to REF IN on the Kona (in addition to HD/SDI)?

I doubt the Kona utilizes the REF IN when the input is set to HD/SDI, nor am I convinced the TC audio would be compatible with video reference signal. Just lobbing out ideas.

Chris Elley
Electro-Fish Media LLC
electro-fish.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2009 at 4:35:16 am

Why not check out an HGP20?

Please forgive the long link:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?display...

It turns your non p2 camera in to a p2 camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]