FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filter wheel HDX900

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Probyn
Filter wheel HDX900
on Aug 13, 2009 at 12:28:08 am

Anyone experienced filter wheel problems on the HDX900? havnt myself and Pana guy in Japan told me according to their figures less than 1% of camera,s effected so far..

They can fix for free in a day.. but has to be done at the factory.. not local dealer.. guess I,ll do it next annual service..

Return to posts index

John Cummings
Re: Filter wheel HDX900
on Aug 13, 2009 at 12:39:21 am

I haven't noticed a problem...is it a recall?

J Cummings
Cameralogic/Chicago
cameralogic.tv
HDX-900/HDW-730S/DXC-D50

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 13, 2009 at 12:46:50 am

I dont think its an official recall,as the pana guy said its so far been a very small percentage of camera,s effected.. but they seem to be acknowledging that the plastic wheel/gear is a bit sub standard and will replace with the metal ones,for free, they have been using since August 08.. not sure of that date 100%.

My guess is ofcourse it depends on the amount of use the camera gets and if the filter wheel is snapped around or not.. ?? but seems a good idea to change it anyway if your camera is going in for a service..

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on Aug 13, 2009 at 1:39:13 am

Funny, my busted VF is in New Jersey after my HDX took a header off a 10-year-old Sachtler while I was shooting in Spain last week. A little gaffer tape and a few cable ties got me through the rest of the trip.

The filter wheel survived, however.

J Cummings
Cameralogic/Chicago
cameralogic.tv
HDX-900/HDW-730S/DXC-D50

Return to posts index

Jason Tower
on Aug 13, 2009 at 10:46:48 am

Our HDX900 just started having problems with the filter wheel! Who should we contact about this? Camera was purchased from Abel...

Thanks for posting!

Jason W. Tower
Fiddler Films

http://www.fiddlerfilms.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 13, 2009 at 12:18:33 pm

Yes I would contact Abel for sure.But Iam pretty sure they will have to ship the camera to where ever the pana service place is,because its to do with optical stuff.Not sure if the shipping is free,should be! but the change over to metal wheel is,and only takes a day,unless they are busy I guess..

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on Aug 13, 2009 at 12:42:57 pm

Chances are, Abel will just send it off to Panasonic.

If you want to skip that step and possibly save a few days, contact Panasonic service directly: (201)348-7975. Be sure to tell them exactly what you want done and include the same written directions and your return address on a paper inside the box.

They will give you the address where to send the unit in, including the building number and the tech contact's name...

J Cummings
Cameralogic/Chicago
cameralogic.tv
HDX-900/HDW-730S/DXC-D50

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 13, 2009 at 12:47:00 pm

Yes they will for sure.

I was told in Tokyo that my camera would have to be sent to Osaka.. where Pana has their pro camera factory.. But I wasnt too sure about just sending it... dont like the idea really.. so would have to take it down there myself but would cost about $400 on the train..
Do you guys freight your camera,s?

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Aug 13, 2009 at 2:13:41 pm

Hi Robyn,
We had to replace our filter wheel a few months ago. While Panasonic did agree there were problems with the poorly made plastic gear they would not replace it for free. We ended up shipping our camera to Abel Cine and they took care of it quickly.

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 13, 2009 at 2:21:01 pm

surprised to hear that.There is the same thread on B roll .com and a guy in the US just had it done for free.. I think he is in Florida.
Pana here in Japan are 100% doing the change over for free.

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Aug 13, 2009 at 3:38:30 pm

We knew at some point it would be for free because Panasonic implied that at the time but since we were one of the easrliest reporting the problem they didn't have their act together to help and we couldn't wait. Timing is everything.

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
Filter wheel HDX900 - HPX2000
on Aug 13, 2009 at 6:31:25 pm

I recently purchased HPX2000, which doesn't have a "split" filter wheel....meaning there is essentially no way of "rolling-in" ND to control the iris. Not a big problem when using the 5600K filters -- but a giant problem when shooting in 3200K.

Question: would it be possible to retrofit a split-filter-wheel set up into this camera body?

From an operating perspective, it's really annoying not to have this option. For me it means dragging a matte box around to help open up the iris. I would have gladly spent an extra couple hundred dollars for the more "professional" filter wheel, had it been an option.

Not sure about Panasonic's thinking here: I suppose they think this camera is designed for news shooters who are too clueless to appreciate a split-wheel design?

The split wheel design also incorporates a fluorescent (4300K) default -- I miss that too.

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
Re: Filter wheel HDX900 - HPX2000
on Aug 13, 2009 at 8:08:38 pm

We've replaced the filter wheels on two of our three HDX900s. One jammed between NDs, the other just began to spin uselessly. We had to pay for the first repair (1 month out of warranty...) and the second, on a newer camera, was free.

There was no damage done to the camera to cause the issue, the gear just failed -- like someone mentioned above, I did hear that they were replacing the shoddy plastic gear with metal and there was a hint that Panasonic had distributed an internal memo on the problem.

The repair was quick, though, with the New Jersey office getting us the camera back in a few days including shipping.

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

Brooks Moore
Re: Filter wheel HDX900 - HPX2000
on Aug 13, 2009 at 11:19:20 pm

Ken,
The european version of the camera the HPX2100 has a split filter wheel. I have wanted to do the same upgrade on my 2000 I think it would be a question of ordering the parts and installing but you might check with Panasonic. Steve Cooperman is the product manager in the US

Return to posts index

Jason Tower
on Aug 14, 2009 at 6:44:26 pm

Mark,

If you don't mind me asking, how much did Abel charge you for the repair? Also, did you send it to New York?

Thanks!

Jason W. Tower
Fiddler Films

Return to posts index

dusty powers
on Aug 14, 2009 at 3:28:09 am

Rumors travel fast. I experienced the filter wheel slipping problem on my HDX a year ago. I was told at the time that Panasonic was aware of the problem and that a replacement filter wheel was in the works. I contacted Panasonic in NJ a week later and sent my camera to them. They replaced the filter wheel with the new one for no charge and had the camera back to me within a few days. Problem was solve. And it did not go back to the factory in Japan.

dp

dusty powers
http://www.hdcrew.net

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 14, 2009 at 3:32:15 am

some confusion Dusty.

Yes the camera doesnt have to go back to the factory in Japan! Iam in Japan thats all.And so Burbank would be a long way from Tokyo.. :)

Return to posts index

dusty powers
on Aug 22, 2009 at 5:18:38 pm

No confusion here Robin. You already stated you were in Japan onin your earlier post. I was attemping to enlighten others of my experience with the filter wheel problem so there would be no confusion on their part. (thinking they would have to send it back to Japan) Just trying to help other owners find an easy solution.

The place I use to service my camera did offer to replace my filter wheel with the same type of wheel, but it would have cost me for the part plus labor. They suggested that I send it back to a Panasonic facility to get the upgraded filter wheel so I wouldn't have this problem again. As I mentioned ealier, it just cost me shipping.

dp

dusty powers
http://www.hdcrew.net

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 23, 2009 at 1:36:51 am

Hi Dusty

Ok sorry.. I didnt think anyone had thought they needed to send their camera to Japan,from the previous postings.Just it had to be sent to Panasonic rather than a third party company/agent.

Great name by the way.

Return to posts index

Jason Tower
on Aug 14, 2009 at 12:57:30 pm

So I totally jinxed myself yesterday by posting about this. Right after posting, we went on a shoot where the ND filter wheel gear totally broke... and of course it was stuck in the full ND position!!! Needless to say, we had one hell of a day shooting interiors!

I'll be calling Abel today and shipping the camera out for this repair and the yearly service...

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Jason W. Tower
Fiddler Films

Return to posts index

randy hale
on Aug 31, 2009 at 5:28:41 pm

My HDX900 ND filter wheel started to slip. Panasonic said we know about this. After asking for help from my sales guy and Panasonic rep,
they sent me to an "officially trained guy"
K&M electonics
2220 Commerce Dr.
Loganville, GA 30052
Attention Mitch
770-554-1201

Even though my camera is just out of warrantee, Panasonic agreed to "help" me with it. I understand they replace the plastic wheel with a metal wheel.
P.S.: we have babied this camera: fashion shoots, not sports. In my opinion, this comes down to bad design on Panasonic's part. It would normally be a 500$ fix and take about 2 hours of labor. (Plus shipping the camera back and forth).

Return to posts index

robert humphrey
on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:14:55 pm

I am in the process of sending my camera to panasonic. My local tech says although it is a quick fix, the problem is located in the camera block. Since the fix is in the block Panny wants to do it themselves. The fix is free but the shipping and time gome will cost.
My tech said Panny has not published any Tech bulletin on the problem. They wil not replace the problem area for free if it is not broken. So you will pay for a pre emptive fix.

Return to posts index

randy hale
on Aug 31, 2010 at 8:50:19 pm

I had my filter wheel replaced last year, June 2009. When you turned the wheel, the filter wouldn't spin to the correct filter, it"slipped". Having my local engineer tell me it should be done by Pani or a qualified Pani service house I reached out to my sales rep and regional Pani Rep. After a little argument like "Why should I pay for your incompetent design, they agreed to fix the gear even though the camera was out of warrantee. Pani admitted the the plastic wheel was a bad design and is replacing it with a metal wheel. I shipped my camera to K&M electronics in Atlanta GA. Mitch was great to talk to, did a great job and was a very fast turnaround (3 days).
My notes:
To fix hdx900 panasonic filter wheel
K&M Electronics
770-554-1201
Include bill of sale
Include a note (LARGE) that even though it is over a year old, it will be covered under warrantee by

Allen Carmichael
Field Engineer, Panasonic Tech Support
770-305-7969
This is THE GUY who can approve paying for wanrratee or out of warrantee gear. (UPDATE:I think he may have retired from this position.)

When sending camera,
Include viewfinder, no power supply, no lens.

Note: I told Panasonic that this was the last Pani camera I would every own unless they paid to fix it.
I'm a Sony guy from the 70's, I'm not used to buying crap.
Good Luck.
P.S: If you havn't bought a Nanoflash for your HDX, do it.

Return to posts index

gavrosh haxhihyseni
on May 18, 2011 at 3:52:29 pm

Hello Guys!

Some days ago I had the same problem with my HDX900.The ND filter knob runs free without changing the filters,although the filter numbers change in the viewfinder.Unfortunately it has stopped to the ND4,making it hard to shoot into interiors.The color filter knob runs OK,although it is in the same axis.
I wonder if the ND filter knob changes the filters mechanically or electronically.
How can I remedy to this problem?
Thanks
Goshi

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
on May 18, 2011 at 4:08:13 pm

You'll need to get it to a Panasonic repair shop. It's not a big repair but it does require opening the camera if the filter wheel has jammed -- odds are it's the plastic wheel that cracked. The labor cost is higher than the part (always the way...) but it should be a fast turnaround IF they have the part in stock.

Hope you don't get caught out while your camera is down,

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

gavrosh haxhihyseni
on Aug 26, 2011 at 4:00:35 pm

Hello Chris!

Though it's been a long time I would like to thank you so much for your advise.I have tried hard to remedy for the ND filter knob,but no success.Can you say me is it any way to release the ND4 setting to the ND1 or no ND filter at all.E.g. intervening technically through the lens trought. At least I can make use of my camera without need of the ND filter at all.

Goshi

Return to posts index

Sonja Stark
on Aug 7, 2011 at 1:07:38 pm

I've had my Panasonic HDX900 since 2008 and today (August 2011) the plastic filter wheel just stop working, spinning but not locking into place. I too bought my camera from Abel. The camera was not being abused or even overused. It barely sees the light of day since I bought the EX3 in 2010. I hope I can get Panasonic to fix.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]