FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gamma 0.75

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Probyn
Gamma 0.75
on Aug 2, 2009 at 10:31:44 am

Have found putting Gamma to 0.75 can really zing the picture up.. not the whole time but for lit interviews.. some B roll shots.... oh yes ... camera HDX900

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Gamma 0.75
on Aug 2, 2009 at 4:27:13 pm

The nominal gamma setting of .45 is designed to accurately reproduce the grey scale on CRT monitors. Some other contemporary monitors also are calibrated for similar gamma.

Setting the gamma at .75 is effectively "crushing" the gamma, that is lowering the middle grey. This effect is often referred to as "crushing" the gamma. With Panasonic cameras and their Film Rec Menu when Dynamic range control is invoked the blacks and gamma do seem to raise and the picture begins to look low contrast, washed out and desaturated. By crushing the gamma you restore the contrast and increase the color saturation.

These are controls you might do in color correction (if that is included in your post workflow) or can be done to the origional (as you have described) to create a more pleasing WUSIWUG look.

You do have to be careful however not to crush the gamma too much for display on conventional monitors. If you're looking at an uncorrected LCD display which has false brightness, what looks good at .75 gamma will come out dark on other displays. I suggest going no further than .55 or .60 gamma for this reason, unless of course you're going for a specific effect.

JS

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 2, 2009 at 4:35:12 pm

Hi John

Thanks for your response.. very interesting.. I have BT 900A monitor.. but yes thanks for the heads up.. I,ll keep it to 0.6 from now on...

I have the (black level) set to +006.. I believe its the BBC settings.. but putting it way down into the minus doesnt seem to have much effect on the monitor?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 2, 2009 at 4:47:54 pm

Robyn,

If you are using aggressive dynamic range setting (like 500%) then set your Panasonic monitor for "Film Gamma", then you can more accurately see what the change in gamma really looks like (assuming you import to post with Film Gamma Correction set to "on" on your 1400 deck) otherwise the monitor is creating false brightness that will also complicate setting a proper iris (unless you use the waveform function for that) because it is an LCD.

JS

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 3, 2009 at 12:27:51 am

Hi John

Ok thanks again for the tip.I pretty much shoot only on the HD setting on the 900.Would you still recommend setting monitor to filmlike setting?

Thanks again for your time.

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
on Aug 3, 2009 at 4:19:12 am

I would use great care with the film gamma settings on the monitor. The settings are designed to match film-out gamma curves, not REC709 monitors. You may end up with underexposed or noisy footage as a result. I would test.

Christopher Bell
Cinematography
http://www.christopher-bell.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 3, 2009 at 7:18:20 am

My BT900A has only Varicam or others setting.. as i ues the HDX900 I leave it on Varicam.

Just wondering out loud.. does anyone set Gamma to say .55 and leave it there.. as opposed to .45 factory setting.I know it can all be done in post,but it does seem to look better?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
on Aug 3, 2009 at 1:56:51 pm

Yes, I tend to use .55 gamma setting, unless I need more dynamic range. In high contrast situations, I will open up the gamma to .35... it's amazing how much info the varicam can record when you do this.

Christopher Bell
Cinematography
http://www.christopher-bell.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 3, 2009 at 3:35:36 pm

Hi Chris

Thanks for your post.So you shoot at .55 as your standard setting pretty much? I have the HDX900 but I believe the block/chip is the same as the Varicam?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]