FORUMS: list search recent posts

Varicam audio monitoring (not enough wiggle room)

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Gospodinovich
Varicam audio monitoring (not enough wiggle room)
on Jan 29, 2009 at 9:48:48 pm

This is not so much a problem as a preference and Im not sure that anything can be done about it, and i feel like ive exhausted the menu options comepletely....but anyway, heregoes....

Good clean signal is not a problem, that is easily achieved, the problem is that there is not enough wiggle room in the audio dial...In most interview settings, If i were to increase the input level past lets say 40%, the signal by that time is way hot and almost maxing the vu. As I recall, I cant remember a time when we have ever had to turn the dial much past midway to get a useable signal.

So I guess what im asking is, Can I make it so that there is a greater range of control using the audio level dial, in other words, is there a way to increase or decrease the number of increments that the dial is adjusting the input signal by??...it just seems like the dial isnt functioning properly if you never have to turn the dial past 50 percent... so its like 0 is 0 but 50% is 100 and that just doesnt seem correct. The way it is now, i dont see why one would ever need to use the top 50% of the dial.

I'm not sure that makes any sense or is really articulating the problem, but I'm throwing it out there to see if anyone has a guess as to what the problem is, or can even understand what Im asking.

Also, our grip/soundguy (we're a small corporate operation, everyone wears many hats) says that in working on other Varicam's this isnt the case, so it leads me to believe that the issue CAN be resolved within the menu, we just cant figure it out.

any thoughts??

The bumbling idiot.

Return to posts index

gaddiel Cortez
Re: Varicam audio monitoring (not enough wiggle room)
on Jan 30, 2009 at 8:36:29 am

nice one!

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Feb 1, 2009 at 2:10:51 am

I posted before the same question re my HDX900... although it seems to be the same for all of them.And one soundguy told me this is always the way with Pana camera,s ??? going directly into the camera.

If I go direct into the camera,the sound dial on the camera side has to be way down.. not even near 40%.
Usually I get sound from the sound persons mixer.. no problem and the dial in the (normal) position..
So I,d never noticed it till recently.. better than low I guess,was a bit unnerving setting the level so low.

Return to posts index

Matthew Gospodinovich
on Feb 2, 2009 at 3:02:05 pm

We are a small operation so almost exclusively get sound straight to camera, no mixer, no soundguy.

Good to know we're not alone at least Robin. We wondered if something was possibly defective, but that didn't seem likely as both our Varis have the same problem. I guess its just something we'll have to get over. I could have sworn though, that Trent (grip/sound) said that when he shoots with at least one other producer's Vari, he doesn't have the same problem. I think he's working with him this week so I'll remind him to check it out and report back.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Feb 4, 2009 at 5:17:24 am

Ok thanks..!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]