FORUMS: list search recent posts

Varicam at 720/25fps or 50fps for PAL

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobias Huber
Varicam at 720/25fps or 50fps for PAL
on Jan 21, 2009 at 11:23:44 pm

Aloha all,

I got a request to shoot standard def PAL here in Hawaii. Unfortunately, there aren't too many rental cameras matching those particular specs out here. In the interest of keeping the business local, I am contemplating the option of shooting on our Panasonic Varicam at 720/25fps or even 50fps.

I would not have any involvement in the post process, so conversion to PAL and final broadcast would take place in Europe. Do any of you know of any possible issues that may come up in this process?

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Tobias

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Varicam at 720/25fps or 50fps for PAL
on Jan 21, 2009 at 11:41:06 pm

Tobias,

The Varicam can of course shoot for PAL, by setting the Systems Frequency (page 4 options) to 60HZ and the frame rate to either 25 or 50, but the result on tape will be HD. Once they return to Europe the client will need a 1200A, 1400 or 1700 Panasonic deck to output Standard def either to a tape or into the NLE through the deck's SD output (SD-SDI preferred). You must query them as to the availability of such a unit.

JS

Return to posts index

Tobias Huber
Re: Varicam at 720/25fps or 50fps for PAL
on Jan 22, 2009 at 12:16:35 am

Aloha John,

Thank you very much for your response. I was unaware of the fact that I could toggle the system frequency between 50Hz and 60Hz - live and learn. Of course, that resolves all related issues.

Thanks again,
Tobias

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]