FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rates

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale West
Rates
on Dec 7, 2008 at 11:13:10 pm

Just wanted to get a feeling about how the economy is effecting rates around the country. Just had a request that was so off the wall I wondered if something was going on and I was not seeing it.
Had a national cable channel contact me about shooting 2 days of 2-camera VariCam. Sent a quote that also included a jib/operator/assistant.
Got a reply saying that they were going to hold the jib day until next year but wanted to know if I could do the shoot for $1500.00/10hrs for each crew. But they still wanted VariCam. I told the PM that while I would like to work for them I could not do it for the requested rate. I did however drop the quote $300 for each crew. They again said that they could not pay any more than 1500 so I politely passed. Gotta hope that one day we will be back and don't want to p_ _ s anyone off.
I know that its important for us to make smarter quotes and be sure that we really need the items we put in there but man....$1500/day seems a little unrealistic. I have my spies out to see who would do the gig for that rate. I honestly don't think any of the guys I know with VariCams would do it but you never know.
Anyway just curious what others are seeing.

best

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-892-1201

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Rates
on Dec 8, 2008 at 12:55:39 am

Dale,

I don't know about turning down any work in this climate. I would have countered by offering three technicians (two camera and one sound) and the two Varicams for the $3000/day. Two days, that's $6000. Now of course, as you know, my wife does sound, so all I'd have to spend is about $1000 for the other operator and I net $5000. I'd take that any day. Of course I'd warn the client that the short crew might require a little longer setup and tear down do there might be some false economy, such that the overtime might actually pay for another guy on the crew, and let them decided how they want to proceed.

JMHO,

JS

Return to posts index

Dale West
on Dec 8, 2008 at 1:55:17 am

John,
Valid solution. I came at it form a little different angle but I like your solution.
I think it underscores the need to get out of the box we have had the luxury of being in.
You are right about turning down work in this time. It has made me itch for a couple of days
now. Wish I'd thought of it before. Thanks

d

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-892-1201

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
on Dec 9, 2008 at 1:59:51 am

Welcome to the great race to the bottom. First rates, now the HDX-900 is having a negative effect on Varicam business. Had a PM from a cable network that did not understand that any Panasonic DVCPRO HD deck will convert 720 to 1080. Lost a 2 day rental. Producer insisted on HDX-900s shooting 1080.

Chris Bell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]