FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDX900 SD gamma

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Probyn
HDX900 SD gamma
on Nov 14, 2008 at 2:05:08 am

Hi

Would shooting with the HDX900 on the SD camera gamma setting.. be the same as shooting with the SDX900.. as the tape is the same?

ie someone wants to shoot SDX900.. I have HDX900.. if I set to SD gamma.. is the shot tape going to be same as if shot by SDX900

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
Re: HDX900 SD gamma
on Nov 14, 2008 at 4:28:37 am

No, The HDX900 only records in HD, the SDX is SD. They will never match 100%. As there will have to be a conversion involved. You will have to down-convert the HDX900's footage to SD and that will effect the process.

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 14, 2008 at 4:52:52 am

Hi there

Yes ofcourse.. makes sense.. dont know what I was thinking.!!!!

Thanks for your time

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Nov 14, 2008 at 6:15:18 pm

The real issue is the color space; 601 vs 709. This is reflected in the matrix and really has effect in the matrix off or zero positions. That is to say that there would probably be a good color match between HDX900 in SD gamma and SDX900 where both matrix's are off. Once you turn on the matrix and "paint" a picture all bets for color match are off. Furthermore the SDX900 gamma would need to be a in similar setting, namely not filmlike, probably most bland setting. The acid test would be to monitor the two outputs on a waveform/vectorscope whilst looking at a DSC Chroma du Monde Chart and observe the match carefully. At this point you can easily make the necessary adjustments to gamma, matrix, etc/

JS

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 15, 2008 at 2:06:51 am

Hi John

Thanks for the info... it wouldnt actually be a case of matching an HDX900 to a SDX900.. more if I could use my HDX900 set to SD... even if an SDX900 has been requested..
I guess the only problem would be they would have to down convert.. if they didnt have an HD player ?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Nov 15, 2008 at 5:33:30 am

You can't set the HDX900 to SD. It only records HD.

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 15, 2008 at 1:45:59 pm

Ok yes I see... I was just wandering if the SD gamma setting was comparable to the SDX900... although the prod co would have the cost of the down convert..

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]