FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting on Varicam, cutting in 30i project

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leslie Jacobowitz
Shooting on Varicam, cutting in 30i project
on Nov 6, 2008 at 10:17:12 pm

I am working for a production company that is shooting using the Varicam and we are cutting on an AVID in a 30i project because our final deliverable is a 59.94 master. We want the 24p look, so what frame rate should we be shooting at?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Shooting on Varicam, cutting in 30i project
on Nov 7, 2008 at 1:37:41 am

If you want it to look like 24p, shoot 24p. The Varicam will lay it down on tape with the 3:2 pulldown at 29.97, just as if you shot on film and sent daily print to telecine for tape transfer. Remember to set shutter on camera to 180 degrees (1/48th) to completely match the film motion.

JS

Return to posts index

Bradford Fuller
on Dec 15, 2008 at 9:33:49 pm

What about the "jutter" at 24 & 30 fps? It only goes away in the live or playback viewfinder at 60fps. 180 or 144 shutter, no apparant difference. Everything I've shot previously on the VAricam was at 59,94 for the slo-mo, which I don't need or want for this project. I know, of course, that all is recorded at 59.94 on the Varicam, but am I missing something for the slower frame rates? Does this go away after a Frame Rate Conversion? Thanks.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 15, 2008 at 11:14:44 pm

Brad,

Yeah, I'm afraid you're kind of missing the whole thing. It's not as complicated as you seem to want to make it though, so here's the whole story.

First off, there's no such thing as 30i. The only interlaced speed is 60i (really 59.94i) in NTSC land. There is also 50i in PAL land. In addition there is 30p (really 29.97) and of course 24p. Your AVID will create timelines in any of these formats. If you've shot 30fps aka 30p (really 29.97) on your Varicam it will import as 30p into a 30p timeline or as 60i into a 60i timeline. Of course in the 60i timeline it will merely double each of the 30 progressive frames to create 60 fields. There is no frame rate conversion involved, that is intended for converting any frame rate higher than 24 or 30 into slow motion in a 24 or 30p timeline.

As regards the motion artifact which you describe as jutter (also sometimes called stutter or flutter), this is not an error, it is the actual effect of shooting at 30fps. It certainly is smoother than 24fps with its 3:2 pulldown, but not as smooth as 60p or 60i (as shot on an interlace capable camera like the Sony F900). It really is a matter of taste, and one must decide before you roll frame one of a project what speed you prefer.

One of the most pertinent facts required to make an intelligent decision on frame rate is to know what venue the project will be seen in. Of course 24p is for filmout, 30p is best for internet or DVD and 60 for the live video look.

I hope this helps.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]