FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring 60p varicam to 25p

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Grey
Transferring 60p varicam to 25p
on Oct 28, 2008 at 6:15:29 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts how I could get a 720/60p varicam (shot using all 60 frames) onto a new tape at 25p (speed down)

Can I do this from the deck or will it have to be digitised. For example if i put the tape in a Dvcpro Hd deck set to 25 will it play the tape back at that speed?

Any ideas how I could end up with a 25p tape from the master 60p without dropping frames would be greatly appreciated?

Im in a PAL country and i believe it was shot using the 60hz frequency

All the best,

Ian

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
Re: Transferring 60p varicam to 25p
on Nov 2, 2008 at 8:24:01 pm

I found an anomaly when using the 25pSDI down converter built into the 1200 and 1400 decks. Regardless of the frame rate the camera was set to, every piece of footage was displayed at 25fps 720 x 576 standard definition. However, no matter what I tried in any of the HD settings, the decks would not do the same thing.
Is your job a full HD project? If not, you could try the down converted SD option.
I helped client out once who had a similar issue, not understanding Varicam he shot everything at 60fps reasoning he could get 25fps out of it and 60fps for slow motion at the same time. He started blaming the camera rather than his lack of understanding when it was explained to him that it would not work that way. I suggested a HD standards converter where we set the incoming signal to 60i, used the reference form the deck to maintain a 60p reference source and not let the converter use it's default 59.94 setting, then set the output to 25fps. It was a bit hit and miss but he got most of the footage this way. We also played around with retiming through FCP but the results were disappointing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]