FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic AJ-HPM110

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Talbott
Panasonic AJ-HPM110
on Sep 24, 2008 at 2:18:20 am

If this is the wrong forum for this question, I apologize. I'm an audio guy who's recently been promoted to Tech Director and I'm learning a whole lotta good stuff about video. The idea is to be able to archive video on hard drives instead of tape. If I can record straight to hard disk, I'd rather.

1). Is the P2HD AJ-HPM110 system overkill for that? I don't intend on it going out into the field, unless necessary.
2). Does anyone have an opinion on tape based archiving over hard drive archiving? I heard someone say that tape will always be better. I'm not sure I believe that.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Panasonic AJ-HPM110
on Sep 24, 2008 at 3:08:35 pm

Bryon,

There are several advantages to recording to "files" rather than tape; first off you're able to preserve the full horizontal resolution (no down rez to fit on tape). In addition you can get a full 10 bit color depth.

There is more than one way to do this too; like you suggest, you can use the Panasonic P2 Mobile and record to P2 cards from ant camera that outputs an HD-SDI signal, or you can record straight to Final Cut Pro (FCP) using one of it's high quality codec's like ProRes. Because you say you're in a studio, I'd think the latter would be the best workflow for you in that it's cheaper and eliminates the separate digitizing process. Many visual effects shoots do this to preserve the highest quality for compositing.

It's a good idea to roll the tape in the camera as well for a permanent protection/archive copy.

JS

Return to posts index

Bryan Talbott
Re: Panasonic AJ-HPM110
on Sep 29, 2008 at 4:26:34 pm

thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]