We are going to work for a project to be shot on Varicam .It will be shot for a 35mm theatre release.It will be edited on FCP6 with AJA Kona 3 card. After going thru lot of posts and forums I came to this :
1. Shoot at 720p/60 at 24fps.(Frame rate may vary for speed requiremnts)
2. Capture the footage thru AJA Kona 3 HD-SDI input thru Panasonic AJ-HD1500p deck and edit in FCP.
Now here are some qurries Ill like to know:
1. What should be the capture/project/sequence setting in FCP?
2. Does capturing thru HD-SDI on AJA Kona makes any difference in quality or we can capture thru Firewire using AJ-HD1400 deck?
3. Should we use DVCPROHD codec or Prores codec?
4. What is Frame Rate convertor?
5. Which is the best Monitor to Monitor the output during edit?
Make sure your frequency setting on pg 4 of the menu under "options" is 59.94.
Best monitor for color correction is eCinema Display ot Cinetal, or broadcast CRT. Any other LCD monitor creates false brightness. The real problem is that standard def release (DVD), High Def and filmout all require different gamma and color space. You must coordinate your color correction with the finishing party, or better yet have them do it too, otherwise you'll have no recourse for complaints.