FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDX900 Color Accuracy

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Thornton
HDX900 Color Accuracy
on Aug 12, 2008 at 10:59:40 pm

I've had some issues with our HDX900 for a while. I sent it back to Abel for a look see, and they sent it back with a good bill of health. I noticed that there were still problems with color accuracy in the increased chroma mode and notified them. Their response was:

"This is a characteristic of our Matrix settings and how the camera handles the blue channel. In order to produce some vivid colors others are not as accurate."

Anyone else having this situation? Anyone know a workaround? Is it true on Varicams?

I'm getting so tired of explaining to clients why their clothes are the wrong shade of blue.

Dave Thornton
TransMediaCreative

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: HDX900 Color Accuracy
on Aug 13, 2008 at 2:57:12 am

Dave,

I've found that the best method to set any camera up for most accurate color reproduction is to to use a DSC Chroma du Monde chart. The process requires properly lighting the chart and carrying out white gains, gamma, flare, etc then adjusting the matrix so that the six vectors and the inbetweens all fall in the boxes and in line between the boxes when viewed at a 2x variable gain on the vectorscope. The advent of this chart several years ago presented the first opportunity to scientifically set up the color reproduction of cameras with matrix controls. I would be surprised if Abel did not use this technique, but I don;t really understand the logic of their explanation about the blue channel; I believe with careful adjustment of the "color correction" you can dial in the colors of the individual vectors and inbetweens without affecting others.

JS

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Aug 13, 2008 at 3:24:11 pm

I did like the color reproduction of the factory set scene file 4 which was dialed in to closely resemble the look of the Varicam. It does a nice job with blues. I was just about to post because our camera settings were accidentally reset and I lost that scene file. I believe it's matrix was set to R-G: +5, R-B: +3, G-R: +4, G-B: +15, B-R: +4, B-G: +3 to closely match the Varicam. Does anyone know If I have those numbers right? I do like the way this setting I created above looks but just want to see if it's different than what the guys at Panasonic set up. Thanks.

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 13, 2008 at 4:41:55 pm

Mark,

The "color of the Varicam" is an abstact term. The Varicam comes with matrix off and zeroed out, yielding a very bland and desaturated look. As you run up the dynamic range it gets more bland and less colorful. Some cameras like the Cine Alta have matrix tables with preset color looks, but the Varicam does not, so that if you want to build such a look you have to do so yourself (as I have done with mine), ideally withe DSC chart as I've described earlier in the thread.

JS

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Aug 13, 2008 at 4:49:44 pm

Thanks John. I guess I didn't properly describe what I am looking for. I have created different looks using charts but am just looking for a particular scene file that the folks at Abel Cine loaded that I liked and unfortunately lost. I wanted to get the exact matrix numbers to match something I've already shot. I'll give them a call. Thanks again for your quick response.
Mark

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]