FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDX-900, 24pA, and FCP

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Taylor
HDX-900, 24pA, and FCP
on Aug 5, 2008 at 4:51:03 pm

Been having some trouble bringing in my footage.

If FCP hits a timecode break (read: the end of the tape), it chokes and gets confused. It has removed the pulldown (the footage is progressive), but thinks that it is 29.97.

The only workaround I found was: avoid timecode breaks, or, if it happens, open the QT file in QT player, cut out the last second of the file, and save. Re-importing to FCP then shows the clip as 23.98.

Anyone else seen this?

And, the next question, can Avid handle 24pA import?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: HDX-900, 24pA, and FCP
on Aug 6, 2008 at 12:32:23 am

[Charles Taylor] "If FCP hits a timecode break (read: the end of the tape), it chokes and gets confused. It has removed the pulldown (the footage is progressive), but thinks that it is 29.97.
The only workaround I found was: avoid timecode breaks, or, if it happens, open the QT file in QT player, cut out the last second of the file, and save. Re-importing to FCP then shows the clip as 23.98. "

STOP USING Capture Now.

Set a proper in and out point for every clip and you will not have this issue.

The App is removing frames but you do not give it enough info to properly stop capturing on the correct frame -you are doing this to yourself.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Charles Taylor
on Aug 6, 2008 at 1:10:39 am

Yeah, it's still a bummer, though. It took me a while to figure out what was doing this, and that that would work.

I would still say that FCP is doing this to me, though. The fact that cutting the last little bit off of the clip makes it work shows that nothing is actually wrong with anything - FCP is just choking on its own poor design.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 6, 2008 at 12:53:19 pm

[Charles Taylor] "I would still say that FCP is doing this to me, though. The fact that cutting the last little bit off of the clip makes it work shows that nothing is actually wrong with anything - FCP is just choking on its own poor design."

Nah you are doing it,.

there is a specific cadence to removing pulldown during capture. Without a hard outpoint there is no way for the software to determine what you are doing- so when the cadence of the pulldown breaks or changes there is not a a way to have the software determine a "proper" stopping point, since you are telling the system to stop NOW.

all you have to do is set in and out points- then the pulldown removal can be done "smartly"

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]