FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPro HD Audio tracks

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Crocker
DVCPro HD Audio tracks
on Jul 17, 2008 at 3:03:55 pm

I'm ingesting DVCPro HD material shot on an HDX900 and have a question regarding the audio tracks. The audio guy has recorded a lav to channel 1 and is recording the same lav 12db lower on channel 2 on the camera. When I look at the files in FCP I have 8 channels of audio.

Q1 > Since there are only 4 input channels on the camera, I am assuming that each channel is a "stereo pair"? Since my channels 1+2 are similar and 3+4 are similar.
Q2 > If you are not sending a signal to channels 3+4 on the camera do channels 1+2 get "duplicated" on 3+4? This seems to be what I am seeing.

I know DVCPro HD is 5.1 capable but I was just wondering how the 4 channels of audio on the camera become 8 on tape.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVCPro HD Audio tracks
on Jul 17, 2008 at 4:37:31 pm

Check your capture settings- FCP can add in four more channels depending on how your capture is setup. you should only be getting 4 mono channels on ingest.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Bill Crocker
on Jul 17, 2008 at 5:12:56 pm

I am bringing it in over firewire from an AJ-HD1200A. Does this make a difference?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 17, 2008 at 8:27:04 pm

Yep- check your capture settings again. It's easy to make FCP bring in more tracks than needed.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.

Return to posts index

Bill Crocker
on Jul 17, 2008 at 8:37:55 pm

After checking, it seems that when I am in Log and Capture mode, I cannot select how many audio channels to import (it is greyed out) and it is defaulted to 8. Even if I switch deck control to something else besides DVCPro HD Firewire. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 18, 2008 at 4:18:14 pm

Trash your prefs. You should be able to set the number of input channels there. Or try before connecting the deck via Firewire.

Noah

Return to posts index

Bill Crocker
on Jul 21, 2008 at 1:26:15 pm

Hi Noah,

I tried both and it still ends up reverting back to a greyed out 8 every time I connect the deck via firewire for capturing. I am not sure what else to do. I guess I'll just stick with the 8 for this project and try to figure it out when I have more time.

Thanks for your help.
Bill

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:26:17 am

You can choose the track selection in the clip settings of the log and cap window. You can turn the little green orbs on and off and that will dictate how many tracks. ignore the little greyed out drop down menu with an 8 on it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Crocker
on Jul 24, 2008 at 6:30:50 pm

Thanks Jeremy. I did see that but was unsure if those track are considered stereo pairs. When turning them off, do I treat them as pairs (for instance turning off lights 5-8 will negate channels 3-4)?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 24, 2008 at 6:41:20 pm

Uh no. They are all discreet channels. 1-8. It's up to you if you want to pair them or not. Click the little chain link to link or unlink them, you can also change this after the fact in FCP as well. It doesn't really matter as channel one will come in as channel 1 and and 2 as 2, then it's up to you to set the pan if FCP (or you can set the pan before you capture in the capture settings tab). Make sense? it depends on your audio guy, but sometimes 1&2 gets duplicated to 3&4 (and the rest) or 3&4 can sometimes be the onboard mic.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]