FORUMS: list search recent posts

Varicam & Kona LHe

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Krupitzer
Varicam & Kona LHe
on Jun 25, 2008 at 8:15:45 am

Hey all, I hope there is someone out there who has an answer for me on what is probably a simple problem...

I've got a multi-camera Varicam project shot at 24p and has been captured through the HD-SDI on the Kona LHe into FCP6. I think it must have been set up incorrectly because all the footage is 59.94 still. I'm assuming if the duplicate frames had been removed during capture the properties would tell me its 23.98, right? So, now that I have 25 hours of video captured at 59.94, what is the best way to edit this at 23.98? I thought I could just drop the clips into a 23.98 timeline but the cameras appear to drift over time (as if the first duplicate frame is removed for Camera A while the 2nd duplicate frame is removed for Camera B). I tried the Frame Rate Converter but the clip came back MOS so apparently its more for speed effects than duplicate frame removal.

I guess I need to ask this also... Can I just edit the project at 59.94 with all the duplicate frames in it and output the final cut at 23.98 with the duplicate frames removed?

Thanks everyone, hopefully you can alleviate my stress! -Kevin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Varicam & Kona LHe
on Jun 25, 2008 at 1:30:40 pm

[Kevin Krupitzer] "'ve got a multi-camera Varicam project shot at 24p and has been captured through the HD-SDI on the Kona LHe into FCP6."

OK,

since I see no info about how you did your captures

the Frame Rate converter does remove audio - but the the lenght of the audio is based on minutes and seconds so you can copy the audio from one clip to another.

did you capture live or from tape
did you capture bars?
did you set hard in and out points or did you capture now.

what codec did you capture into ( I am assuming DVCPROHD - please confirm)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Kevin Krupitzer
on Jun 25, 2008 at 6:19:04 pm

Hey Gary, thanks for your response. Here's how it was setup...

The project was captured from tape on a Panasonic HD1400 Deck using the capture now function

Color Bars were not captured

The device control was AJA Kona LH: 59.94 Panasonic VTR
Capture setting was AJA Kona LH: 720p 59.94 DVCPro HD

If I run the frame rate converter on my clips and choose not to save them as stand alone clips will my audio still be there? Does the converter actually manipulate the media files or just reference them in a new way?

Thanks!
Kevin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 25, 2008 at 8:38:21 pm

[Kevin Krupitzer] "The project was captured from tape on a Panasonic HD1400 Deck using the capture now function "

BINGO!!!!!!!
without a hard in and out point the computer cannot understand where the A frame is so the pulldown can be removed correctly, so it does not remove the frames.

all you had to do was set the beginning of the tape then go to the end and set an out.

"Capture setting was AJA Kona LH: 720p 59.94 DVCPro HD "

Then you got what you told the computer to capture then, the correct setting was "AJA's 720p23.98 Varicam" and it would have removed the frames properly when you set ins and outs.

Sorry dude - it's operator error, the card gave you exactly what you asked it to.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Kevin Krupitzer
on Jun 25, 2008 at 8:59:41 pm

I'm man enough to admit I made a mistake! Thanks for the clarification. Any ideas on how to deal with it now without having to recapture everything? Can it be as simple as setting In and Outs on the A frames of the clips and dropping them on a 23.98 timeline?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2008 at 1:27:39 am

This is not the Krupitzer of KZoo fame. Is it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]