FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filters For HD

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris magid
Filters For HD
on Jun 25, 2008 at 3:06:05 am

We have been shooting more and more HD on our H model varicam.

While we do use the typical tiffen filters like pro-mist, pola, grads etc, we would like to start experimenting with soft fx, digi diffusion and soft contrast filters.

However it seems that folks in the land of HD use these in higher strength formulations. Like 3,4, and 5s.

That would be pretty strong in the SD world.

Anyone have any experience with specific filters I mentioned and can recommend or concur their intensity for pretty pictures, subtle. Not heavy handed overly effected images.

chris magid
rtvf

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Filters For HD
on Jun 25, 2008 at 2:42:09 pm

Chris,

My experience with filters for HD is to use half the normal amount not more, except for effects. The logic for this is that quite often the Hd is downconverted and shown on SD and artificial detail is added in that processs. If detail is added to an overly soft image, artifacts and other imperfections appear. I'd suggest that you control detail down in the HD camera to make the image more filmlike and noise free. Furthermore, it's very difficult to visualize the effect of the filters because of the horizontal down res done by the recording (in both DVCPRO100 and HDCAM). The picture you're looking at on your monitor is sharper than that which is recorded, and unless you are looking at a full res monitor (like a Cinetal or eCinema) you are not getting an accurate representation of the picture. Be careful with filters; you can always add in post, but you can't take away. If there is insistence to you filters, use less that you would with SD (where detail is turned up just to get an acceptably sharp picture) and test, test, test with the complete postr workflow and view in conditions that the final product will be shown.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]