FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPro HD Tape shot on Varicam, Playback problems!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Douglas
DVCPro HD Tape shot on Varicam, Playback problems!
on Jun 11, 2008 at 2:21:43 pm

Hi All,

I've successfully transferred/captured 2 tapes from the same shoot to FCP, and I am on my last tape from the shoot. When I attempt to playback the tape, it runs timecode for 20 seconds or so then gives me the error on the deck of E-01, then after about 5-10 seconds the error changes to E-00.

The timecode continues to run in the log/capture screen of FCP, but the screen continues to stay black and we get no playback.

I'm running FCS 2, with all the latest updates. The deck is the AJ-HD1200A.

The tapes are Fujifilm DVCPro, 126 L, DP 121, and Medium sized tapes.

If anyone knows what these errors mean or anyway to fix it that would be a HUGE help!!

Thanks!

Scott

--------------------

check my stuff out at http://scottkdouglas.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVCPro HD Tape shot on Varicam, Playback problems!
on Jun 11, 2008 at 3:48:14 pm

Have you tried running a head cleaner? Also I'd check on another deck and/or playback in the camera just to make sure there is an actual signal.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jun 11, 2008 at 8:35:13 pm

It's a head clog. The cleaning tape is not usually sufficient to clear up the problem, a professional cleaning from Panasonic might be the only fix.

JS

Return to posts index

Tom Ervin
on Jun 13, 2008 at 1:55:51 am

I can validate this whole-heartedly.

We just went through this problem and had to send the deck to Panasonic. The service tech. informed me that a head-cleaning tape just isn't enough, especially with continued use of the size DVC-Pro cassette that fits in the VariCam. Evidently, oxide or particles builds up on all the surfaces on the tape path - not just the heads. He literally uses a tooth-pick to clean some of the smaller areas, replaces the rubber roller, etc. to give the deck a thorough cleaning.

Keep a log of cleanings, because depending on your level of use - this maintenance may need to be done every three-six months. It doesn't help to just keep running the head-cleaning tape all the time because it just shortens the life of the heads without cleaning these other areas.

Our deck (AJ-HD1400p) has been working like a charm ever since it came back.

BTW - a local engineer had no idea how to clean this deck properly. His work was of no help, so I recommend sending it to Panasonic - and keeping tabs on them so your deck doesn't just sit on the bench for a week until they get to it.

--
Tom Ervin

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
on Jun 19, 2008 at 2:30:58 am

I have given up on cleaning tapes and head cleaning. When the heads clog, the only solution is to send the deck to Panasonic for maintenance. Sucks when you are in the middle of a project, but I have found no other solution.

Chris Bell

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jun 19, 2008 at 2:39:19 am

Chris,

I have had exactly the same experience; only a trip to Panasonic solves head clogs. I can say that I've had better luck with my 1400 than the 1200A's I owned before.

JS

Return to posts index

Eoin McDonagh
on Feb 9, 2010 at 12:48:35 pm

I had a the same problem trying to playback 720p tapes shot at 25fps. The solution was to change the system frequency from 25HD to 50i/25p (and turn the machine off and on). Also, a BB generator seems to be essential on this model.

Return to posts index

James Palugod
on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:29:19 pm

I recently experienced this same issue. Getting the error message, E-00, trying to playback DVCPro tapes on AJ-HD1400 deck. The tapes were shot 720 30p on a Varicam. They playback fine in camera.

Right now I have tapes shot 720 30p on HDX-900 that playback fine on the deck, but the tapes shot on the Varicam do not. Do you think this problem can be solved by sending the deck to have the heads cleaned?

Thanks,
James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]