FORUMS: list search recent posts

4:4:4 Varicam ouput for green screen

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Kaufman
4:4:4 Varicam ouput for green screen
on Jun 7, 2008 at 1:02:51 am

Hi, Creative COWers,

I have a project coming up, the client wants to output an uncompressed 4:4:4 signal from the Varicam and record to disk, to later composite the material using FCP.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Many thanks,

Thomas Kaufman, DP
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: 4:4:4 Varicam ouput for green screen
on Jun 7, 2008 at 2:41:21 am

Thomas,

No matter what the client wants; in this case the best they can do with a Varicam is 4:2:2 color sampling and record the HD-SDI output (spigot on back of camera) into a capture card (like AJA Kona) connected to FCP using ProRes highest quality codec.

The only cameras that provide full 4:4:4 color sampling are F23/35, Viper, Dalsa, Genesis and Arri D21.

In the Varicam class, a superior (1920x1080) and or more convenient 4:2:2 workflow would be to use a Panasonic 3000 and record 10 bit color depth on P2 cards.

I find it amusing that clients throw around technical jargon without knowing what they're talking about. It would be more appropriate for them to merely ask the camerperson for advice in determining the best possible workflow for quality, and then, as is the usual procedure settle for less because they can't afford it.

JS

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 7, 2008 at 7:33:03 pm

Yeah- sounds like they just heard that buzzword without really reading into it- especially as they are looking at FCP as their composting tool. Might want to hip them to After Effects or Shake for that. Properly shot VariCam green screen footage should be no problem to composite by someone who knows what they're doing. But there's the rub.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Alyasiri
on Jul 16, 2008 at 8:47:29 pm

Or wait for the P2 3700 coming out...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]