FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDX900 RF warning

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Kerstein
HDX900 RF warning
on Jun 4, 2008 at 9:18:57 pm

Panisonic HDX900 is getting intermittent RF warnings in the viewfinder. we ran the dry tape head cleaner a couple times but the warning seems to return. Anyone have any info on other issues or bugs related to RF?
Thanks.
Matt

Return to posts index

George Griswold
Re: HDX900 RF warning
on Jun 5, 2008 at 10:36:11 am

Matt,

Cause is likely a simple head clog and a manual cleaning may be required. (my comments, notes)...

Panasonic says this in the HDX-900 SERVICE MANUAL:

Turn Power OFF during cleaning. Use ethanol (more than 99% pure)as cleaning liquid. (I am not sure if this is pure isopropyl alcohol- that is what is usually used- I would verify the exact liquid to use) Also find a lint free cotton lab wiper- like TexWipes.

The cylinder has rotary trans(former) at upper side of unit. Finger can not touch top of cylinder. To rotate cylinder use applicator to touch top edge
1. Dip cloth in fluid.
2.Press cloth against cylinder head and rotate counter clockwise several times to clean.
3. Repeat until there is no residue.

Another remote possibility is mentioned in SERVICE BULLETIN, "Countermeasure for REC WARNING- Software Version Update"
Order #BSD0610S139a

If you camera has been fine up till now I can't imagine that this is the culprit. This bulletin specifies updating the software-- FPGA(FM) from 1.06-00-0.00 to 2.01-00-0.00. To simplify- the RF warning is generated by comparing the camera head output to return video; with this update some noise is reduced in one of the signals that is compared. Seems remote-- much easier to clean the heads first.

Hope this helps- you might want to call Roger at Macie Video to ask about the problem.
Hope this helps.
George

George Griswold
http://www.videonow.info
New Orleans, Louisiana

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Jun 5, 2008 at 11:19:53 am

Matt,

Just curious, did you lose any footage when you were getting the RF warning light? Or was all the footage fine, just a false warning?

Ernie Santella
Santella Film/Video Productions
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Matt Kerstein
on Jun 12, 2008 at 12:47:49 am

Just found out from Panisonic service in LA tha a bad board will cost is $2K parts and labor! The camera is past it's warranty by 14 weeks!
Total BS! Last Panisonic product I'll ever buy..Back to Sony whom I never should have left..I yearn for the simple days of Betacam 20 plus years 3 cams trouble free!

Aloha & Mahalo from Maui

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Jun 12, 2008 at 10:09:31 am

Matt-

Wondering what else they told you... nature of failure, which board, how much labor and for what? Thanks for reporting back-- few follow up with how things turned out.

The Betacam days had the advantage of EVERYBODY agreeing on a format-- made freelancing less of a hassle. I think at some point we will hopefully be selling a 1080 or 720 HD solution for clients for the most part-- not camera A, B, C, D........

It does sting that your camera went down just out of warranty-- sometimes an impassioned appeal will get you a warranty repair just the same. Well worth chasing down Jan or someone just to ask.

George

George Griswold
New Orleans, Louisiana

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on Jun 12, 2008 at 12:18:57 pm

I'd be very interested to know how many hours that camera has on it. If it has low hours and it's that recently out of warranty, I would hope Panasonic (or your dealer) would take better care of you.

If you're comfortable popping the hood on that camera, I would definately try several (gentle) wet cleanings followed by a pass with a tape cleaner to see if that makes any difference...or I would take it to a local dealer's shop for that cleaning service and a second opinion. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Hey George...as another HDX owner, I'm curious...where do you find HDX firmware updates or HDX service advisories on the net? I've looked all over Panasonics websites and haven't stumbled on them yet...I've only found P2 camera-based updates...

J Cummings
DP/Chicago
http://www.cameralogic.tv

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Jun 12, 2008 at 9:59:03 pm

John,

There are no relevant updates on the web that I can find. I bought the full service manual right after I bought the camera and was receiving service bulletins for a while after that.

As far as firmware updates they are supposedly on the World Panasonic site, but the procedure in the service manual is VERY complicated, requires software, cables and is not for the bravest do it yourself person.
It is possible to erase all of the base calibration information for your CCD's, processors, yada yada yada-- then you have to return it to Panasonic (I would imagine) for a full setup (if they do it). So in a nutshell this isn't a three step flash kind of affair (LOAD, WRITE AND UPDATE)---

Hope that helps..
George

George Griswold
New Orleans, Louisiana

Return to posts index

Robert Marish
on Jan 13, 2009 at 4:04:02 pm

matt-hope you are well.
I heard from steve that this cam is still acting up! I had mentioned that some cams have an RF warning sensitivity adjustment. That way if there isn't any true problems but the warnings still persist...you can set the threshold higher. Check with panasonic.
This issue had happened to me with a betacam as well as an hdcam...both took a few cleanings and constant checking to ensure that there wasn't a problem even though the "red light" and rf warning kept coming up.
I've also had the same issue from humidity...and a single grain of sand!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]