FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDX-900 Unislot

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Cummings
HDX-900 Unislot
on May 8, 2008 at 2:49:46 am

Just installed the new Lectro SR dual channel Unislot receiver into my HDX-900. So far, I can't get both channels from the receiver into camera channels 1 and 2.

The receiver is seeing two channels, but the camera only seems to want combine both wireless channels to channel 1 and 2.

My gut tells me that perhaps the second channel in the Unislot is not activated or enabled, although I can't find a menu item for this. The schematic in the owners manual cryptically says that the channel 2 pins in the Unislot D connector are "not used."

Hmmm....

Perhaps someone from Panasonic or another HDX user can shed some light on this mystery...

J Cummings
DP/Chicago
http://www.cameralogic.tv

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Re: HDX-900 Unislot
on May 8, 2008 at 9:37:12 am

Hi John,

The HDX900 does not have two channel capability from the unislot. It is only able to do one channel.

Sorry,

Jan

Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on May 8, 2008 at 11:28:24 am

Thanks, Jan.

That's unfortunate. Is that the case right now for all Panasonic cameras with Unislot?

I'm sure other Panasonic owners would like to know the deal before they drop a lot of cash on dual channel receivers.

J Cummings
DP/Chicago

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on May 8, 2008 at 4:33:09 pm

Just off the phone with Lectrosonics, and they indicated that the 2 channel functionality might be enabled via a firmware update. I have contacted Panasonic, but have not received a call back yet.

I'll be happy to share that info when I get it.

J Cummings
DP/Chicago

Return to posts index

on May 8, 2008 at 6:15:51 pm

Hi,

All of the cameras are single channel. Lectrosonics has been talking with the factory, but there is no gaurantee that a software upgrade with bring two channel capability to the unislot. If it were easy it would have been done by now.

If I were to make a bet on which cameras it could happen with, I would say the 2000 and the 3000, but I am not a betting person, so I only bet on sure things. This is not one of them.

Best,

Jan

Return to posts index

Ken Summerall
on May 8, 2008 at 9:04:44 pm

[John Cummings] "I'm sure other Panasonic owners would like to know the deal before they drop a lot of cash on dual channel receivers."

John,

The Lectrosonic guys showed me an adapter for cameras that only had one channel in the unislot. It is a piece that installs at the top, between the very top piece with the controls and the body. It had a small connector at a 90 degree angle, out of that connector you connected a cable that had either a lemo or mini-xlr on one end and xlr on the other. It was a little goofy looking and I am almost positive that it was a prototype, but it might be worth a call to Lectrosonics.

K

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on May 9, 2008 at 7:34:08 am

Yea, I talked with the Lectro guys about that. It's a whole new receiver, not a retrofit. And it won't ship for awhile.

You're right, it is goofy...kinda like this whole unislot situation. It gets even worse with sony, who of course only wants to sell sony slot receivers.

Too bad nobody is sharing any clear product information so buyers can make informed decisions. Lectro should post a compatibility matrix, but they didn't...my audio dealer should have known better, but he didn't...and panasonic shouldn't have two channel pins in a connector with only one channel enabled, but that's what they did. Now, it sounds like the fix (if there is one) may only go to the P2 models.
That would make me feel all warm and fuzzy about panasonic and my two-month old camera.

I assume this unislot is licensed by ikegami, but apparently there's no standards involved. And the slot pin configurations vary by manufacturer. There's no "uni" anything here.

Right now, my unislots are a great place to warm up my pop-tarts...

Sorry...I'm tired and annoyed.

J Cummings
DP/Chicago

Return to posts index

on May 9, 2008 at 9:36:24 am

Hi John,

I can full understand your annoyance. And I would like to add to color the situation in, that there is only one receiver that has two channels and that is the one made by Lectrosonics. The other two that I am aware of are only single channel and those have been available the longest, say 6 years on the Sennheiser and 5 years on the Azden. Lectrosonics came up with the 2 channel receiver after your camera was off the R & D table. The salesperson that sold you the camera should have known or if they didn't know they should have asked Panasonic, or at least look in the Ops manual. I know it is disappointing to think you have something all figured out and have that not be true.

Wish it were different, and who know maybe those extra connectors reall do go somewhere, time will tell.

Best regards,

Jan

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on May 9, 2008 at 11:22:43 am

I will shut my mouth now and cross my fingers.

Jan, thanks for your insight and your help.

J Cummings
DP/Chicago

Return to posts index

Ken Summerall
on May 9, 2008 at 2:23:04 pm

John,

I totally understand your frustration and you have not been ugly about this at all. I'm sure that your are really more angry about it than you are showing. FWIW, just to fuel the fire, the Lectro guy that I spoke to was the guy that developed the receiver and he thought that it would work with everything but a Sony. Seems like the ball got dropped all around. The nice thing here is that Jan has made some folks aware of this, and I'd be almost willing to bet that if there is a fix, they will make it happen.

I really hope so because my next camera is likely to be a full sized P2 and I would love to be able to have two channels in the slot so that I can use my Lectro units in the field.

K

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on May 10, 2008 at 6:47:04 pm

"the Lectro guy that I spoke to was the guy that developed the receiver and he thought that it would work with everything but a Sony..."

He thought?

Ken, I find it extremely hard to believe that the people at Lectrosonics do not actually test these products using real cameras to see if they actually work before they put them into production, and then ship them to dealers, who then sell them to unwitting nitwits like myself. But it does make one wonder what cameras the SR actually does work in...

"I'm sure that your are really more angry about it than you are showing."

You are very perceptive, Ken.
Now quit trying to get me all riled up again.

BTW, I'm not mad at Jan. But her cohorts at Panasonic support never did return my call.

That makes me mad.

J Cummings
DP/Chicago

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on May 11, 2008 at 9:47:57 am

John,

Sorry to hear about your receiver situation. They should refund your money.

I have a service manual for the HDX-900 an according to the schematics for the slot only ONE channel is wired from the socket. I considered the Lectro with thoughts of wiring the second channel internally, but at the end of the day there is no place to route it to. No firmware solution possible without the wires being there.

The Lectro is a great product and a great concept and even used externally is better than two 401s.

George

George Griswold
http://www.videonow.info
New Orleans, Louisiana

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on May 11, 2008 at 2:05:15 pm

Hi George-

There is a big difference between the second channel pins being "not enabled or not used" and the pins being "not wired."

If "not wired" is indeed the case, obviously no firmware update will fix that.

Yes, you're right, using the SR mounted outboard will still be somewhat better than hanging a couple of 401's off the side of the camera, and that's what I'll probably do.

I own two cameras (a HDW Sony and an HDX Panasonic) that accept slot receivers. The attraction for me was to have one receiver that I could use with either, for links. What a wonderful concept.

The reality is that the dual channel Lectrosonics SR does not work, as advertised, with either camera.

I say shame on Lectrosonics (and their dealers) for either:

Not adequately testing this product,
and/or failing to disclose the SR's incompatibilities to customers in the SR product data sheets.

I'm done now.

J Cummings
DP/Chicago

Return to posts index

mark doyle
on May 19, 2008 at 6:59:01 pm

I have just returned from my friendly neighborhood broadcast sound house here in Gotham, NYC. I took my hdx900 in for a visit and to introduce it to the letrosonics SR. As I anticipated they did not get along. While the SR powered up fine the HDX would only put channel one audio from the SR onto either channel 1, channel 2 or both channels of the HDX. As expected, channel two from the SR never left the receiver! Aweful.
It seems to me that this is most directly a panasonic problem, in the here and now anyway. From what I've heard and what I've read the HDX was not wired for a second channel from the unislot even though the pin configuration supports it. Great. So what now? Why would I buy a unislot from lectrosonics unless I plan on using it in a bag or velcroing it to a dvx? Or why would anyone who wants to use dual channel unislot (more than a few people I bet) buy an HDX?
I also understand that the Sony's PDW530 2/3" chip XDCam (and others?) ARE in fact wired for two channel unislot functionality but require a firmware update to work with the lectro. Incidentally, Sony will not perform the firmware update as the lectro SR is not a proprietary Sony product. Presumably, Sony will be offering their own dual channel unislot receiver at some point relatively soon and don’t want to yield any market share to Lectro. Understandable…I guess. Again though, the question returns to Panasonic. Will panasonic NEVER offer dual channel unislot receiver operation in the insanely popular HDX900? If so that sounds like a really bad plan for Panasonic. Surely there has to be some way to update or modify current HDX900s to work with the dual channel unislot receiver (aka the lectro SR). Yes I’m sure the HPX cameras will support this, but it’s pretty clear that P2 has a while to go until it surpasses the popularity of tape. Someone please clear this up (panasonic people?)…hopefully before June, when I embark on an around the world show…hopefully with my HDX (if it can support dual channel unislot). I’d much rather keep the HDX instead of switching to another camera, but right tool for the job prevails! What’s the bottom line?

Return to posts index

Douglas Glover
on Jun 2, 2008 at 6:04:16 pm

I just checked out the Lectro website (http://www.lectrosonics.com/hybrid/sr/sr.htm) and it looks like they are offering an external output for the second channel via an external cable. It's not perfect but if it gets the two receivers off of the back of my camera I will be happier.

Return to posts index

marc cleriot
on Mar 14, 2009 at 1:19:28 am

Well I guess I have finally figured out why I oculd not get the thing to work and was abble to get sound one cnale 1 only andnot on channel 2 only.
Well I got done for the lot.
I bought the famous SR dual receiver speicfially for the HDX900 with two MM400C.
So i shall be wrting bacl to the very nice people at lectrosonic who had made this possible.
I lost many a night in Africa trying to fix this thinking I must be so stupid.
My back luck being that I did not have a cheap internet connection to ask.
But here we go I have now again spent 3 hours here in my office in germany trying every thing possible under the moon.
And that of course with a shoot tomorrow eraly morning no today in less than 6 hours.
Oe should really wait and look in the internet for the trouble others experience before byting this expensive tools of ours.
And think I flew to new york to pick all this up and flew straight back into Chad.
Regards to you all.

Marc Cleriot - Germany

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]