FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH4 4K cropping issue

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Morgera
GH4 4K cropping issue
on Dec 13, 2015 at 2:28:55 pm

Wanted to see if I could get some advice on cropping in on wide shots with my GH4. I use this primarily as a wide shot for wedding ceremonies and receptions, hoping to be able to crop in as needed during the action while not missing anything.

While I'm happy with the camera overall, this function hasn't looked as crisp as I would like. When I zoom in 2X on the footage, it has weird artifacts around people, especially those that move.

A lot of times, I am shooting at high ISOs due to dark churches and receptions (I try not to go above 800 ISO, but sometimes I do have to go to 1600 ISO, even with fairly fast glass). I also turn the noise reduction up, as I don't have any noise reduction software/plugins.

Those are the only things I can think of that could be causing it. When I've punched in on other projects (narrative shorts, corporate videos, etc.), I haven't had this issue. I'm thinking it may be just because when I use it for the wide shot, the subjects are just too small to begin with.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: GH4 4K cropping issue
on Dec 14, 2015 at 4:40:36 pm

So I've not experienced any problems cropping 4k footage on my GH4, but haven't tried in dark locations. Could it be the shutter speed? If folks are moving, and you are shooting at 24fps it could be the issue. Also, turn off noise reduction to see if it affects the artifact issue. If it does, buy a plug in and deal with it in post.

I've been not wild about the noise in the GH4, and apparently from reviews I've read, the newer model, not sure I'm remembering whether it was the GH7 or 8, does better with noise. Question is whether Panny is going to do a software upgrade to the GH4 to improve it or whether a newer model will be the answer.

When I worry about shooting in low light, I reach for my 5Dmkiii. While the overall image is not 4k, the quality at higher ISOs is always better. I can also plug in the Ninja to it and get right off the sensor. Which reminds me, have you tried going direct to Pro res on a Ninja? You could rent one for a weekend and see if it improves your output.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]