FORUMS: list search recent posts

blurred image when using neutral density filter with GH4?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lang Elliott
blurred image when using neutral density filter with GH4?
on Oct 12, 2015 at 9:05:14 pm

HI all:

I own a GH4 and I'm using a metabones smart adapter to attach it to my Canon EF 100-400 zoom. This setup has performed flawlessly, but I need to be using ND filters when it's bright outside. So I purchased a fairly expensive Variable ND filter that screws on the front of my 100-400.

The problem is that I am completely unable to get a sharp image on my GH4 when the ND filter is attached. This makes no sense to me, but maybe someone here can give me an explanation.

Lang Elliott
Music of Nature

Return to posts index

Lang Elliott
Re: blurred image when using neutral density filter with GH4?
on Oct 12, 2015 at 11:35:01 pm

It turns out to have nothing to do with the GH4 because the same thing happens when I use a Canon body. So it must be that the filter somehow makes the lens impossible to focus.

Anybody?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 23, 2015 at 9:39:47 pm

[Lang Elliott] "It turns out to have nothing to do with the GH4 because the same thing happens when I use a Canon body. So it must be that the filter somehow makes the lens impossible to focus."

I've never had trouble using a variable ND filter on my GH4 lenses. You are in manual focus and can't get it to work?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Lang Elliott
on Oct 23, 2015 at 10:53:49 pm

Yes, that is true. I finally got hold of a fixed strength ND filter and the focused fine manually. So I'll be using two fixed NDs as opposed to a variable ND. I spoke with Chuck Westfall (Cannon expert) and he said that it was entirely possible that variable NDs could be problematic with the new 100-400, due to how variable NDs are made, and strongly suggested I used fixed strength.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]