FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinelike D in it's flattest setting does not capture color information on the GH4?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Zybutz
Cinelike D in it's flattest setting does not capture color information on the GH4?
on Jun 5, 2015 at 10:46:46 pm

I have some shots taken on an overcast, particularly grey day using the GH4 in the cinelike D picture style with everything barring hue and saturation turned all the way down. Hue was at 0 while saturation was at -3.

It seems that this picture style is too flat for the GH4, perhaps for the 8-bit color recording, as there were areas of the image that captured NO COLOR WHAT SO EVER and where only tinted blue because of the cold white balance settings I shot with.

Is this usual or should this not be happening? It was really disappointing to have such footage as the overall result was extremely difficult to grade and looked very processed as I had to paint on colors that simply didn't exist.

Can the GH4 not handle flat picture styles internally? I think that an external recorder is required for such flat shooting with the GH4 but I want some advice from some more experienced people.

Also will the v log picture style become available in a firmware update or was it scrapped for similar reasons to the above, if anyone happens to know about that.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Cinelike D in it's flattest setting does not capture color information on the GH4?
on Jun 6, 2015 at 12:18:04 pm

I'm not sure you could expect much else if you decided to shoot pseudo flat on a grey, overcast, low contrast day. Especially if your white balance was off kilter when you shot the footage. Sometimes the one size, or at least one profile, fits all approach just doesn't get results.

One thing that's really important with the GH4 is to get white balance spot on. Everything falls apart if you don't.

All I can say is I shoot CineD where it's appropriate, but other profiles where they'll give a better result. It's worked for me shooting documentaries, TV commercials & sundry corporate stuff on the GH4 - so I can't agree with the "it doesn't work shooting flat" theory.

V-log may or may not ever make a firmware release but even if t does, you still have to know where to use it.

Would an external recorder have helped? Maybe. 10 bit would certainly give you a little more to work with, especially on the sort of day you described. It's probably the sort of situation where I'd definitely add a LUT to my Shogun so I could see what I'd get once the profile was graded.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]