FORUMS: list search recent posts

gh4 and new blackmagic video assist

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen knifton
gh4 and new blackmagic video assist
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:46:58 pm

many of us gh4 peeps shoot in 4K, then down rez to 1080p when we output projects from ae, pp etc.

so .... this blackmagic video assist monitor recorder ($500) looks great ... is there an upside for us gh4'ers ?

what would be the sacrifice in quality if we used the bm va and worked with the down-converted 1080p files in our workflow ? (aside from not being able to output in 4K).

would the final product have the same quality as if we worked in a 4k workflow, and then outputted in 1080 ? or would the files get degraded in the down-convert to the BM ?

i guess in a nutshell: if you ultimately render in 1080p with projects you shoot on the gh4, does this thing become a poor man's shogun ?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: gh4 and new blackmagic video assist
on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:19:53 pm

When I shoot in 4K, I use the extra resolution to to punch in for "close ups". Since the Video Assist is limited to 1080, it won't work in that regard. What it will do is give you 10 bit color depth and ProRes recording. In my opinion, the weak link with this and the Shogun is reliance on a micro HDMI connector. I can't see myself doing that.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Alex Zvyk
Re: gh4 and new blackmagic video assist
on Aug 5, 2015 at 5:04:30 am

Well, about that microHDMI connection... I'm thinking of kickstarting a minimalistic (in form) cage which will solve that problem, among others...
http://SideCage.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]