FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH4 10bit 1080p25 or 1080p50

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Ricker
GH4 10bit 1080p25 or 1080p50
on Oct 3, 2014 at 10:04:27 pm

Can anyone with this camera confirm that you do not get a true progressive 10bit signal out from this camera in 25p or 50p at 1080.

Atomos is saying that it will put out a 50i signal when set to 25p.

I would like to use this camera in a studio connected to a BMD 4k Production switcher, but want to ensure I can get a true progressive signal at 10bit, as we will be running virtual sets.

If anyone here with the camera handy can quickly run a test on an external recorder, or maybe you've already checked?

Atomos never mentioned the 1080p50 on the hdmi? is this possible at 10bit?

Any information would be very welcome. Next step is to get check one out in person, but thought i'd quickly ask as the information on this topic is very lacking online besides the Atomos video. Also panaonsic just released some new firmware, which doesnt mention addressing this but you can never be certain till you've checked?

Mac Pro 2.4Ghz 8 core, 24GB RAM, GTX 670

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: GH4 10bit 1080p25 or 1080p50
on Oct 4, 2014 at 3:52:46 am

Hmm- I doubt you'd be getting 10-bit out of the HDMI alone. You'd need the YAGH interface kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1028546-REG/panasonic_dmc_gh4_yagh_lu...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Oct 4, 2014 at 6:01:15 am

The GH4 can output 4K or HD at 10-bit, 4:2:2 over HDMI if you're not recording internally, with or without the YAGH. If you are recording, it's limited to 8-bit. In fact, the YAGH gets its video from the GH4 via HDMI.

There seem to be some issues in getting a proper handshake via HDMI for the proper progressive formats, depending on your external recorder. Sometimes you will get progressive sent as interlaced, which of course has to be non-destructively de-interlaced after recording. I haven't actually used an external recorder (and the GH4 I used was borrowed, though I'm not sure I can hold out much longer on that inevitable purchase... I already have a bunch of m43 lenses), but this is how I understand it.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Oct 6, 2014 at 8:58:45 pm

Appears the latest firmware has not changed anything in this regard. Seeing on the atomos forums again, people mentioning they believe Panasonic will release a firmware fix for this in mid november.

But its such a risk for me, to invest in 4 of these cameras hoping a firmware's gonna come out.....

I'm gonna have to go and hire one, to see what its doing plugged into a BMD 4K switcher. Maybe its just the external recorders that are picking up a interlaced signal in 25p, but to me that means its putting one out.

Mac Pro 2.4Ghz 8 core, 24GB RAM, GTX 670

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]