FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH4 noise in the shadows

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
GH4 noise in the shadows
on Sep 11, 2014 at 10:15:24 am

Basically, I'm loving the camera for many situations. Howerver, for me, one of the potential uses for the camera was to shoot at 4k and digitally zoom (in post) to re-frame, kind of a one camera wide and close up function (specifically for meeting presentations). What I am finding is an unacceptable amount of noise in the shadows. I am trying different setting (ISO, Cinelike D, etc.), but haven't come up with a usable configuration. Of course, I could run the footage through a denoiser, but that will definitely add time in post. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim

Return to posts index

Bob Pilz
Re: GH4 noise in the shadows
on Sep 11, 2014 at 11:21:16 am

In my experience micro 4/3 cameras are inherently noisier than their larger sensor and, more relevantly, larger sensel brethren. I have the Olympus OM-D EM-1 and the GH4 and they each exhibit more or less equal noise at various ISOs shooting raw photos or video (on the GH4).Regarding the GH4 and video, shooting at ISO 200 preferably and no more than 800 or so helps as well as leaving NR=0 in the profile. I've never felt the need to de-noise at 200 or maybe even 400 but 800 and especially 1600 start to benefit from it. There was a lot of discussion on this on DVxuser.com without any magic bullet that I could tell - other than the obvious of use more light. Someone looked extensively at the different photo styles and they didn't vary much in their effect on dynamic range tho I believe cine V and natural were around 10 stops with all the others 11 or so. Using a 360 degree shutter angle at 24 fps also helps in low light conditions but, of course, causes more motion blur.

I also had to learn to not try and bring up the shadows the way I was used to doing with my D800E. The good thing though with video is that noise isn't as noticeable/objectionable as it would be on a still photo as long as its film like with people advocating denoising up front in post and then adding in film-looking grain at the end. Lot's of possibilities.

Bob

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 11, 2014 at 12:18:41 pm

Pretty much the same on any camera- grain= underexposure. I see zero noise shooting outdoors with this camera in sunlight. The moment I get indoors in lower light at pretty much any ISO- grain will be there. The only way around this is to bring lighting into the equation.

Even a decent LED mounted into the hot shoe will go a long way toward suppressing grain. And having a fast lens, preferably a prime. A slow zoom + low indoor lighting will get you huge amounts of grain.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Sep 11, 2014 at 12:33:31 pm

Aron Anderson did a great video on this:

Bottom line: Cinelike D, Contrast -5, Sharpness -5, NR 0, Saturation -3, Hue +1, Highlight Shadow Standard, iDynamic Off, Master Pedestal +15, Luminance Level 0-255

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]