FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downloading from Panasonic AG-HVX 200 Camera to Hard Drive.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve paradiso
Downloading from Panasonic AG-HVX 200 Camera to Hard Drive.
on Jul 3, 2013 at 1:24:37 pm

Traveling overseas for 10 days in September and will be shooting with Panasonic AG-HVX200P onto P2 cards. Would like to download from P2 through 1394 port on camera at night to a portable hard drive, something like Western Digital My Passport Studio, featuring Firewire 800 ports. Anyone had any success downloading from camera to portable drive?

Return to posts index

Micah Wolf
Re: Downloading from Panasonic AG-HVX 200 Camera to Hard Drive.
on Jul 5, 2013 at 5:24:52 pm

I traveled to Africa with a HVX and had to do the same thing.

There is no way to go straight from the camera to a Hard Drive but there is this

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/AG-MSU10.asp

What I did was transfered through my laptop to my external hard drive. Its a lot safer and you can double check all the files transferred.

Lastly I have been getting faster transfer times from my HVX using the USB port opposed to the Firewire port.

Good Luck
Micah

Return to posts index

steve paradiso
on Jul 6, 2013 at 1:10:12 pm

Thanks Micah for the response. So to continue to pick your brain. Can you elaborate on what kind of laptop you used - Mac or otherwise - and what editing software did you import into afterwards? My issue right now is, I edit with Final Cut on a G5 and my option for a laptop for the trip is a new Dell. So would I be able to transfer through the Dell to a hard drive, then import into Final Cut off the drive, or will I need to use a Mac laptop?

Return to posts index

Micah Wolf
on Jul 7, 2013 at 1:16:00 am

No problem Steve.

I brought a Macbook. Nothing fancy but just something that would be able to act as a go between from my camera to my hard drive. When I edited my footage I used Adobe Premier which I like over FCP, just my preference. I like how Premier can use MXF files natively and I don't have to convert to Quicktime files like with FCP. Its just a process that I finds works for me.

You shouldn't have a problem bringing a Dell laptop. If all you are using it for is the USB or firewire port to transfer your footage you will be fine. What you will want to make sure you do is format your hard drive to work on both PC and Mac's. I am not a hard drive format expert but if you would format it on your mac using Disk Utility and setting the Format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) both your PC and Mac will recognize the hard drive.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Micah

Return to posts index

steve paradiso
on Jul 7, 2013 at 1:16:54 pm

Thanks again Micah - will vet it all out before heading overseas. Appreciate your time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]