FORUMS: list search recent posts

Past client DVX-100 shot tape, re-captured, re-updated/edited, and now...??

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
Past client DVX-100 shot tape, re-captured, re-updated/edited, and now...??
on Apr 19, 2013 at 5:43:13 pm

Tape was shot letter-boxed at 24p. Captured tape via FCP 7, dropped it into time-line, clicked yes to match sequence media settings, exported file to QT for client to review, client complains image is blurry. QT player opens it as a 640x480 file, details are soft, slightly pixeled, but aspect ration is 4x3 letterbox, correct. When exported via QT Conversion, as a 720x480, test showed more clearer details in the vide, however the person on video is about 10-15% wider, which is not that noticeable, but it's noticeable. Any suggestions or best workflow for exporting DVX-100 shot tapes. Ultimately, the client would like 720p, and as clear as possible. I've not worked in this workflow for years and years, so anyone who can help refresh me or a workaround, or a best way to, please let me know. Could be an on-going process, so this will help me for future trouble-shootings.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: Past client DVX-100 shot tape, re-captured, re-updated/edited, and now...??
on Apr 20, 2013 at 3:13:19 pm

Do you have a capture card? If you have an AJA capture card you can capture through AJA VTR Exchange or Blackmagic Media Express if you have a BM card and uprez the footage in hardware upon capture. Realistically that will give you the best results.

If you do not have a capture card, it gets a little bit trickier. Exporting out an HD file from an SD file will probably have significant artifacts almost no matter what you do. You may be better delivering a high quality SD file. Almost as a digital tape master. As for your original process, I don't know what I would have done differently. I wouldn't export as widescreen because the letterbox means that the footage is still actually 4:3, just with black bars, so you are stretching when you do that. I would export using QT conversion a DVCPRO50 file. This will give you great SD footage. Base settings off of source. Then use your master file to uprez in compressor to DVCPROHD 720, again, basing frame controls etc on source.

I wouldn't go too format crazy. Stick to something easy that your client can take anywhere.

Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Past client DVX-100 shot tape, re-captured, re-updated/edited, and now...??
on Apr 23, 2013 at 6:20:51 pm

How did you capture the tape? Should be via a DV device.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]