FORUMS: list search recent posts

Glitch in SD card

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Peters
Glitch in SD card
on Apr 9, 2013 at 5:07:09 pm

Howdy guys, hope everyone is well!

I have a question here regarding a glitch in an SD Card.

I was shooting on a 32GB, 400xSpeed Lexar Pro SD card in my AF100 the other day. I've probably used and formatted that card at least 3 or 4 times (always in the AF100)

I was shooting a conversation that took place for about 45 minutes. About 30 minutes into it, the card glitched, lost audio for 1 frame and kept recording. I noticed this when I threw it into my editing software (Sony Vegas Pro 11) and it came in as two separate film strips.

I was able to patch it together alright, but still this gives me pause on the issue of using the card again.

What do you guys think? Just a bad card, used too many times? Should I throw it away, re-shoot something to test it or what?

The shooting conditions were not at all harsh. In an air conditioned room on a tripod, no big deal. My camera's been to the beach before and on the ocean, but I am extremely careful with weather proofing it and protecting and cleaning it, so I don't think that is an issue (I've filmed a lot with it since the beach and ocean and have had no problems).

This is the first glitch with the AF100 that I've experienced since owning it approximately 1 year.

Thank you guys,

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: Glitch in SD card
on Apr 10, 2013 at 12:26:45 pm

This could have been anything. You certainly did not use it too many times. A card should be able to reformat far more than 4 times. I say just replace the card. For all you know, it might be camera, but replacing the card will eliminate one variable and could solve the problem. If it happens again on a new card, you have a larger issue and should contact Panasonic. But honestly, that card is $36.56 at B&H. Don't wait until it's a 10 frame skip or a drop out completely. That type of mistake will cost far more than a card replacement.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841482-REG/Lexar_LSD32GCTBNA400_32GB_...

In the meantime, you may want to contact Lexar and try to get them to replace your current card. It is probably still under some sort of a warranty.

Also bare in mind that SD cards are not built for professional acquisition. As hard a pill as they may be to swallow, P2, SxS, REDMAGs, are all built and tested for thousands of formats, thousands of plug ins and outs, and years of use. SD cards are built to be replaceable. In the end, you get what you pay for, always.

Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

Justin Parker
on Apr 12, 2013 at 10:24:06 pm

It might be the 4GB file size limit. The Af100 (and most other cameras) will start a new file when it reaches 4GB, due to the format memory cards use to be cross-platform. Some editing software will automatically recognize this and show the multiple files as one.

Return to posts index

Evan Peters
on Apr 22, 2013 at 8:10:58 pm

Thank you both. I will probably just stop using that card and hope it doesn't happen again, if it does, I will attack the issue then. I also might try re-importing the footage to see if that helps.

Does the speed of an SD card effect the transfer rate stability? Could a faster speed increase chances of skipping, if that's even possible in the first place?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]