FORUMS: list search recent posts

AF100 2/3 or Lumix 35-100 or Newbie

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henry Panniell
AF100 2/3 or Lumix 35-100 or Newbie
on Apr 6, 2013 at 6:16:58 pm

First and upmost I am a newbie. I mostly shot event videos and I recently purchased AF100 w/o lens. Came with a PL mount and a Nikon mount. Now I discover there is a array of lens to chose from with an array of pros and cons around DOF and other things ?? Some say still camera lens have a disadvantage while and the the Lumix lens are slow. . . . And everyone has a different set of lens . . . Still, cine, PL, etc. Key feature of the AF100 is flexabliy with len adapters . . For all lens - Very good but I want to narrow down my selection to a basic 2/3 B4 Rig or a low noise ( internal motor on lens, quick AF, and fast 1.0.0> 2.0.0 prime) which will work with some of the basic features of the unit, focus and aperture control . . . .etc Please keep in mind that I a total newbie to this camera and options. . . With very little DSLR background, which I now noticed has impacted the video world with "limited time" per recording . . . which is not my concern . . .
My concerns is as follow: I noticed the following information concerning B4- 2/3 setup
Q:Would a built in 2X extender engaged do the same thing as the HDx2 adaptor? Couldn't you just use a B4 2/3" To Micro 4/3 Adapter and switch 2X on from the lens?
A1: Not exactly. The 2x extender built into a 2/3" zoom is designed to magnify the image in the center. The image quality of this simple optic is only meant to perform in the 11mm image circle of the 2/3" format. The extra projection of image to the MFT projection area (four times the size) is not accounted for.
A2: 2/3" B4 ENG lenses are made for 3-Chip CCD cameras. In this cameras a prism block splits the three colors (R,G,B) to 3 different sensors. If you use this kind of lenses on a single chip camera there will be huge color aberrations to the image and you will get no good quality. The HDx2 adapter is a optical doubler and brings the image to the bigger sensor, but not only! The adapter corrects the image aberrations according to the missing prism!

My concern: Just curious how bad or acceptable is a 2/3 B4 rig without the Hdx2. Is it mandatory ? ? ?
Are there 2/3 B4 shooter who are not using the Hdx2 ? ? Whats the verdict ? ? ?

Or considering the following options?
Lumix GX Vario 12-35mm f2.8 or the 35-100mm f2.8. . . Seems to me that they are still lens but they may be very compatible with the AF100 and its controls. I am all ears and thanks in advance
For a project I recently purchase a Nikon D5100 with a Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR DX ; I also have ROKINON 28-80mm 1:2.8-4 MC Manual Focus Nikon mount. I sure they would work … . but . ? ?
Thanks very much - Henry

Return to posts index

Henry Panniell
Re: AF100 2/3 or Lumix 35-100 or Newbie
on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:52:34 am

Hebrews12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses . . . surely
I sit among some of the best users of this equipment, and for sure I do not present a complex question among great minds, yet I have no rplies. For starters, concerning 2/3 B4 mounts and the Hd2x . . . . Is the verdict in concerning the “color aberrations” by hands on users of the 2/3 B4 users ? ? ? Also the only Hd2x I have priced seem rather costly if I'm not mistaken it was at AbleCine,and it cost more than what I paid for the camera. . . ( Comparing the argument that some have with the price of the Lumix GX Vario 12-35mm f2.8 or the 35-100mm f2.8 lens cost more than the G3 body) . . . Just saying . . .pricey is pricey. Is there a cheaper option other than the Hd2x offer at AbleCine ? ? ?
Well, I hope that someone will respond to my concerns, as I know I am sitting among the best answers available. . . . Its a matter of receiving them. . . . Thanks inadvance

Henry

Return to posts index

Henry Panniell
on Apr 8, 2013 at 3:35:40 am

I have a Fujinon A19x8.7BERM-28 2/3" Internal Focus 2x extender. Do I still need the Hd2x ? ? ?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Justin Parker
on Apr 9, 2013 at 12:53:48 pm

I don't know the answer to the b4 2/3 inch lens question, but the Lumix f2.8 Lenses are probably the best all around option for the camera as far as being high quality glass and being functional. They are fully compatible with the AF100. All the auto functions, image stabilization and readouts work and it is parfocal so you don't have to refocus every time you zoom in or out.

Return to posts index

Henry Panniell
on Apr 9, 2013 at 11:03:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, I agree with you, I have invested in the B4 hookup, but I am strongly considering going to the Lumix f2.8 for serval reason, some as you have reference.
Thanks again - God Bless

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Apr 10, 2013 at 12:59:24 pm

Henry - you're right - the 2.8 lenses are the best Lumix system lenses - period. But, sadly, they lack power zoom.

I am a GH3 guy, but I am looking at the 14-42 and 45-175 PZ lenses for that reason. Not as good in low light as the 12-35 and 35-100, but very nice lenses, nevertheless. Here is an example of what the 45-175 power zoom can do on the AF100 (please watch at 1080p):

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Henry Panniell
on Apr 10, 2013 at 6:25:31 pm

Thanks for the option, the power zoom issue sliped pass me. The lack of power zoom for me would require a "Focus Lenstrap" I seen some of the newer one on the _bay that are reuseable. The 14-42 and 45-175 PZ looks good too, and reasonable price. I like this choice too.

Thanks and God Bless

Henry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]