FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better pictures

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ofer Geva
Better pictures
on Feb 23, 2013 at 10:28:31 pm

OK. This is going to be a long one:

I have an AF-100, I use it with the lumix 14-140mm lens and I find the picture lacking (for lack of a better word). Except for a better lens (I plan on buying the Summilux 25mm lens), What can one do to get a better image from this fine camera?
I know using an external recorder might help because it will record 4:2:2 and not 4:2:0, but it will be 8-bit only so not too different from the internal recorder.
So what else?

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
Re: Better pictures
on Feb 25, 2013 at 5:32:43 pm

In what way do you consider the image to be lacking: definition, dynamic range, colour accuracy, unwanted compression artifacts? A better understanding of your concerns will help us to make suggestions.

Geoff

Return to posts index

Ofer Geva
on Feb 25, 2013 at 8:55:19 pm

The colors and dynamic range are actually great. My two main issues are definition (perhaps due to compression?) and low light behavior, which results in noise (but I guess a wider aperture would resolve that)

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Feb 25, 2013 at 10:22:18 pm

The noise performance is influenced by the choice of file settings and I suggest that you search the web for recommendations that will best suit your style of shooting. (Have a look a dvinfo.com or able cine.com). Of course, a faster lens will help to reduce some aspects of noise, although at the loss of d.o.f.

The camera's resolution is more like that of an HDV camera than a top notch 1920x1080 camera, but that does not necessarily mean that it is incapable of producing fine images. Probably, you will be making use of the shallow d.o.f. that may be achieved with suitable lenses and often the quality of this type of shot will not be lessened by the lower resolution. (Just think of the use of diffusion filters, even stockings, that have been used to soften shots throughout cinema's history1)

Get to know the camera's shortcomings and learn to light and shoot accordingly and you will be producing some fine cinematic images.

Geoff

Return to posts index

Ofer Geva
on Feb 26, 2013 at 7:41:26 pm

You've mentioned that the resolution of the camera is closer to that of an HDV camera then a 1920*1080 top notch camera. Will connecting it to an external recorder and recording uncompressed footage help that?

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:30:44 pm

No, unfortunately not. But don't be disheartened because as I said before, you can get some cracking pictures. Of course it is having the right tools for the job and so if your primary work really demands the highest resolution then this is not the camera for you, but don't forget that for many 1280x730p is the preferd format!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:06:00 pm

Lens would make all the difference in the world. The Lumix zoom you have is fine but probably a decent Prime would look doubly sharp when compared side by side to it.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Gerald Prost
on Mar 5, 2013 at 4:35:30 pm

I use an adapter for the Canon lenses. I have a collection of great Canon glass. To get a better image I used one of the basic scene files that seemed close to what I needed, then I tweaked it. Glass is very important.

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Mar 6, 2013 at 3:56:28 am

Defiantly try out better lenses. The new Lumix 12-35 and 35-100 are sharp, fast and naitive. Try Zeiss ZE or ZF lenses. Great contrast and sharp. Good glass is essential to get the most out of any large sensor camera.

Blog http://www.eriknaso.com
My Vimeo Page http://vimeo.com/user626030
Follow me on Twitter @ErikNaso

Return to posts index

Ofer Geva
on Mar 6, 2013 at 7:23:22 am

Thank you all for your responses.

I wanted to know, has anyone had any experience with the Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm lens?

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Mar 24, 2013 at 2:58:13 pm

The Panasonic Leica Summilux is a fantastic lens. All around it is a brilliant performer. But you will not have the manual control unfortunately that you would with a ZF or even a MFT Voigtlander. For my primary work I have been using a set of Leica R primes that I was able to collect around the tri-state area pretty inexpensively for great quality glass. Could not recommend them enough.

Specifically though, when it comes to MFT, the cream of the crop are the Panasonic/Leica 25 Summilux, the Panasonic/Leica 45 f2.8 (Macro), Panasonic 7-14, Panasonic 20 f1.7, the Olympus 12 f2, Olympus 17 f1.8, Olympus 45 f1.8, Olympus 75 f1.8, Voigtlander 17.5 f.95, Voigtlander 25 f.95, Voigtlander 42.5 f.95. The Voigtlanders are all manual focus while the Panasonic and Olympus are all electronic. Just some food for thought.

Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

Ofer Geva
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:38:50 am

Thank you very much. That was very informative.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]