FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use ClipWrap instead of transcoding to ProRes or DNXHD?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mac Caudill
Use ClipWrap instead of transcoding to ProRes or DNXHD?
on Feb 2, 2013 at 1:13:40 am

I'm a new user of AVCHD and noticed the striking difference in file size between using Log & Transfer in FCP (or converting to a mxf file in Avid) versus using ClipWrap to wrap the .mts files in Quicktime. The ClipWrap file is normal and the transcoded file (FCP or Avid) is ENORMOUS.

The ClipWrap folks say there is no image loss or compression involved. I'm wondering if using the smaller ClipWrap files will trip up the CPU. There's gotta be a catch, right?

Why would you use Log & Transfer if there's a way to edit with smaller files?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Use ClipWrap instead of transcoding to ProRes or DNXHD?
on Feb 4, 2013 at 5:10:17 am

You pretty much nailed it- performance in post. Generally speaking the transcode into ProRes trades file size for optimized quality and much more efficient performance. It's worth investing in hard drives- cheap as they are today to make it work.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Mac Caudill
on Feb 4, 2013 at 7:30:10 am

Arrrr...I knew it was too good to be true. I have a few decent-sized HDs, but love the idea of a small media footprint. Should I assume editing with the raw (Clip-Wrapped) files would make for a miserable editing experience in either FCP7 or Avid? I guess I should do a test and see for myself.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:01:13 am

Another option is go with Premiere Pro CS6 and dont transcode anymore. I made the switch and now work native with AVCHD and anything else I throw at it. Transcoding.

Blog http://www.eriknaso.com
My Vimeo Page http://vimeo.com/user626030
Follow me on Twitter @ErikNaso

Return to posts index

Smith Cindy
on Mar 22, 2013 at 8:53:45 am

I had a poor exprience to load my AVCHD footage to FCP. I tried the clipwrap, yes, it can wrap the mts files to quicktime files for me. I don't want to wait, wait, wait when importing AVCHD files to FCP. Or I will find a much easier solution to get the work done. Good news Apple claims FCP X now can natively support AVCHD files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]