FORUMS: list search recent posts

Get something better than DV from a DVX/PDX

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
Get something better than DV from a DVX/PDX
on Jan 28, 2013 at 7:07:46 pm

I am looking to get better color sampling than the DVX provides while still using the DVX. I know there was a solution a while back that upgraded the DVX to get a HD output with a USB connector. Let's put that a side. I am wondering if by some miracle the S-Video output would give better color sampling than the native DV codec and thus I would feed that to an outboard recorder. Let's put aside extra bulk and all that - I'm just looking for a solution.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Get something better than DV from a DVX/PDX
on Feb 4, 2013 at 5:19:01 am

It's really the limit of the imager and SD resolution that's the issue, not DV itself. DV is a pretty efficient codec- considering it's 25 mbits just for 720x480 when many HD cameras today use less bits to capture 720p or 1080p.

There was something called the aurora hack I believe a while ago that could boost the camera a certain extent. But that would cost you more than simply buying a new HD camcorder. Really any DSLR would blow the DVX away in terms of pure image resolution.

If you wanted to go S-video directly to an outboard recorder check out AJA or Blackmagic for possible solutions. But again you'll find that the quality/cost ratio makes no sense vs. simply getting a newer camcorder.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Feb 4, 2013 at 5:30:06 am

Actually, in my case, the DV codec is the limiting factor. The stuff it does with Reds sometimes is ridiculous. I am looking to get, if possible, better than 4:1:1 (even if it is only a slight improvement). I mentioned that the Aurora hack is not an option since it would cost more money and is no longer available. I have the capability to capture direct s-video out from the DVX without spending any extra money which is why I am looking at that as an option.

Return to posts index

Pat Keough
on Mar 5, 2013 at 2:37:49 pm

From what I understand, the analog out on the S-video port has no sub sampling. Of course the draw back is that it is now an analog signal and the Chroma information is combined in S-video. For keying, the lack of sub sampling will probably outweigh the degredation from going to analog. The only experience I have is from hooking a DVX-100 to a Tricaster via S-video and it looked great.

If you already have the ability to capture from S-Video at 4:2:2 or better, do a quick test of the same scene on DV and S-video capture and see what you think. Then let us know...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]