FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic AF100 and Green Screen

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Damian
Panasonic AF100 and Green Screen
on Jan 18, 2013 at 8:13:49 pm

I'm going to be doing a green screen shoot in the upcoming month or so, and need to rent a camera in order to get good results. The camera I wanted to use was the HPX-250 but the rental place in the PHX area does not have that camera (nor the XF 305). They said they had the AF-100, which I heard of but know little about.

After doing some research, it seems like this might not be the right choice. the article I read said that the highest quality it records to the cards is something like 25mbps. I looked up the specs on BH and it said that it could record 422 Uncompressed HD. I'm guessing this is through a capture card???

Does anyone know if the codec used to record to the SD card is 4:2:2? Also, I would like to get peoples opinions on using this camera for green screen. I know it has a large sensor size for creating shallow depth of field, this also may be a problem depending how shallow the DOF is.

Cheers its Friday,
Mike

Return to posts index

Thomas Alexander
Re: Panasonic AF100 and Green Screen
on Jan 26, 2013 at 10:26:56 am

I own the AG-AF100 but i never tried it for a green screen. But use Aja Ki pro mini or Ninja Atomos and it will preserve the 10 -bit 4:2:2. Is the only way you can record 10-bit uncompressed 4:2:2. The camera to store information on an SD card it downgrades the quality to 4:2:0. So my opinion is if you are going for a green screen use an external recorder.

Thomas Alexander | Independent Cinematographer
Soulman Films | Nicosia Cyprus | +357-97697640

Return to posts index

Pat Keough
on Mar 5, 2013 at 2:45:18 pm

What other cams do they have available or do they offer an external recorder to go along with the AF-100?

Yes, the Af-100 records to AVCHD wich is good 'ole 8bit 4:2:0. Without an external recorder, you would be better served with a hacked GH2 and a fast SD card. Do they have any old HVX-200a or HPX-170s there? I don't know what your final product is for but those two may resolve enough detail for you and still have the 4:2:2 color.

As far as the shallow DOF: It could be problematic if you don't have enough lighting to stop down when needed.

The HPX-250 would have been nice indeed.

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:08:28 am

Any 4:2:2 camera will be better than 4:2:0. I've shot green screen with the AF-100's AVCHD codec and it was fine. The hardest part of doing green screen is knowing how to light the talent, the screen, and the distance the talent is away from the screen. If you do all the right things when you shoot it. Post will be a breeze.

Blog http://www.eriknaso.com
My Vimeo Page http://vimeo.com/user626030
Follow me on Twitter @ErikNaso

Return to posts index

Thomas Alexander
on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:12:03 pm

I couldn't agree more.

Thomas Alexander | Independent Cinematographer
Soulman Films | Nicosia Cyprus | +357-97697640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>