FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic HMC40

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlos aguilar
Panasonic HMC40
on Jan 10, 2013 at 4:58:11 am

I'm thinking of buying this camera. What do you guys think of it? I also need a omni-directional lavaliere mic, do you guys recommend any and would I need an adapter to connect it?

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/ag-hmc40pj.asp

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
Re: Panasonic HMC40
on Jan 11, 2013 at 6:37:50 am

I've been very happy with my HMC40. A couple of things to consider. I've collected a bunch of SDXC cards lately, but the HMC40 is limited to SDHC, so you only get 32GB, and files are broken up into 4GB chunks, like many SD media cameras. And yet, I don't really see a newer model I'd pick instead.

I have the audio adapter as well, for my various and sundry XLR mics. If you're doing fairly fixed interview-type shoots, you can hook a wired lav mic directly to the XLR inputs, run them from phantom power, etc. I have a couple of these, nothing too expensive, from MXL: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/581525-REG/MXL_FR_355K_FR_355K_Lavali.... I needed some for a project, these did fine (one omni, one cardioid). If you don't have the XLR module, you can find some that hook in via the 3.5mm jack.. no recommendations here.

Beyond that, if you're shooting action, you'll need some other system. Lots of people use wireless lavs; those systems are expensive, but let you monitor on-camera, at least if two inputs are enough. I prefer to put a field recorder on each subject, set it to 24-bit, and pretty much not worry too much that levels will ever be a problem. There's probably a shotgun and/or boom mic on-camera at the same time, if it's an "in-studio" sort of shoot.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:29:10 pm

Hi Carlos, we use the HMC40 at work, and it is a great camera, but it is getting a little old. I would get the newer AG-AC90. The XLR mic inputs are built-in, not added on, it shoots 1080/60p at 28mbps and takes dual 128GB SDXC cards. Only $1956 at Amazon.

You can get a $199 Audio Technica AT899 omni lavalier, plug it directly into this camera, and you'll be all set.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Charlie Kosheff
on Feb 24, 2013 at 7:21:18 pm

Want to buy mine? Only used 4 times, bought about 4 months ago......

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]