FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic discontinues AF100 in B & H Photo's store

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
reid vanvoris
Panasonic discontinues AF100 in B & H Photo's store
on Dec 8, 2012 at 11:21:31 am

So Panasonic releases the AF100 as an HDSLR killer with a M43 lens mount. The price is right, the features are mostly right, but most HDSLR users are Canon owners with Canon lenses and there is no decent EF to M43 lens adapter (not even now) that allows control of lenses through the AF100 camera, Panasonic itself has few decent M43 lenses choices in their Lumix lens line, so AF100 sales struggle. Sure you can rig up some nice lenses on the AF100's M43 mount, but by the time you do, you've spent more hanging glass than the camera itself cost.

Now, Panasonic releases 2 new Lumix M43 lenses that look pretty good; a 12-35mm constant f2.8 zoom and a 35-100mm constant f2.8 zoom. Hooray for AF100 owners, right? No. Panasonic now discontinues the AF100. Decent, affordable camera, now with relatively expensive, but decent and compatible lenses, and now the camera is no longer for sale.

Not that the AF100 is the bleeding edge anymore. It' still a nice camera whose heyday may have come and gone, but moves like this, really? What is Panasonic's stock price doing again?

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Panasonic discontinues AF100 in B & H Photo's store
on Dec 9, 2012 at 7:23:10 am

Perhaps this means the AF200 is imminent? We can always hope...

In the meantime, Panasonic is doing a great job with its DSLMs and entry level pro camcorders. The GH3 is going to be a big seller - and the AG-AC90 is a terrific sub-$2000 pro camcorder.

Still pulling for Panasonic to do something great in pro interchangeable lens camcorder world. An AF200 with a modern m4/3 sensor, FS700 frame rates and FS100 pricing would be a winner.

Alternatively, shooters would also buy a shoulder mounted camera with HD-SDI and built in NDs at the price point of the NEX-EA50.

Or maybe a real game changer, such as 2K RAW output, XLR inputs and 1080/60p at a price point competitive with the BMCC MFT? I would sell every camera I own for something like that.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Dec 9, 2012 at 10:54:58 pm

Hopefully we will see a new AF-200 but probably not until next year. The AF-100A is what we will see soon here in the US. It has 10bit out of SDI and focus magnification. Also comes with the paid firmware upgrade that could be added to the AF-100.Not much else is known about the AF-100A model.
I sure would like to see Panasonic advance the AF-100 because I do like the camera as well.

Blog http://www.eriknaso.com
My Vimeo Page http://vimeo.com/user626030
Follow me on Twitter @ErikNaso

Return to posts index

reid vanvoris
on Dec 10, 2012 at 3:58:02 am

Ok, just some questions from a purely consumer point of view.

I'm not playing Jr. CEO here. I'm sure some one who's a lot smarter than me on how and why companies do what they do from a market, business, and stock market perspective (Philip Hodgetts comes to mind. The guy is excellent) could probably analyze and explain it better.

Upon casual exploration of both Panasonic and Sony's camera offerings at the consumer, prosumer, and pro levels, why does Panasonic seem to offer so many camera choices with similar feature sets and price points that seemingly compete against each other? Sony seems to be guilty of the same. Do they have to manufacture and distribute everything their engineers come up with even if it's not very different from what they already have out? Canon and JVC doon't seem to do this in their product line (JVC does offer cameras with similar features, but the different models are the same camera with some extra bells and whistles and are priced higher).

Secondly, why doesn't Panasonic make available an AVC-Intra-Ultra license so it can be used on external recorders like ProRes and DNxHD? If the GH3 can record an AVC-intra-like 72Mbps H.264 I-frame, on a fast SDHC card, why still offer AVCHD cameras? Why doesn't Sony make a 10-bit 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 XDCAM format instead of 8-bit only?

Why did it take Panasonic so long to come out with professional M43 Lumix zooms for the GH series and the AF100 (will there be a AF200?)? Why does Panasonic not manufacture a Canon to M43 lens adapter that will fully work with the GH3 and AF100 targeted at all those HDSLR shooters with Canon lenses? Why doesn't Sony do this either? I get selling lenses, but what about those that won't buy your camera because they've already invested in a boatload of lenses that won't work well with your camera? Get those customers on board, right?

Anyway, like I said earlier, there are probably people smarter than me who can explain all of this. I was just curious and seeking enlightenment. Best of luck to Panasonic, Sony, Canon, and JVC. They all have great products. You know us consumers, we all want perfection at the perfect price. Can you blame us?

Return to posts index

Bill Magac
on Dec 24, 2012 at 6:06:35 am

Adorama has the AF100A listed on-line for $4135 USD.
http://www.adorama.com/PCAGAF100A.html

Recently I was speaking with a sales rep at a pro video store and the sales rep hinted Panasonic may be introducing a super35 sensor camera at NAB. At this time, Panasonic does not have a camera that competes with the super35 cameras from Sony and Canon.

Return to posts index

reid vanvoris
on Dec 24, 2012 at 2:33:00 pm

Well, that would be good. Let's hope it's a full-featured camera like the af100, and priced and featured to beat the fs100, fs700, c100. They could also put out a camera to compete in the c300, f3, f5 space, too. avc-intra instead of avchd at all levels, please, and why not an external recorder with avc-intra to compete with the mish-mash of prores (dead), dn x hd, mpeg2, and uncompressed recorders out there?

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Dec 24, 2012 at 5:07:43 pm

Panasonic showed a prototype 4K s35 modular camera last year at NAB. I'm not that interested in yet another s35 camera. As an AF-100 user with MFT lenses I would prefer an updated Micro Four Thirds sensor with P2 AVC Intra for starters. If they could get the same out of the sensor that the Black Magic camera has that would be a winner.

Return to posts index

Bill Magac
on Dec 28, 2012 at 4:53:04 am

Erik,

The AF100A brochure and owner/operator's manual are now available online at:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/AG-AF100A.asp

On page 13 of the AF100A brochure, the SDI output paragraph states "*10 bit signal is generated by smoothing process. It is not a native 10 bit signal." Looks like the AF100A's so called SDI 10-bit 4:2:2 output is not a true 10-bit 4:2:2 out.

Bill

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:03:30 pm

Whilst this isn't a major upgrade it does have a couple of improvements that are welcome. It would be great if Panasonic could offer an upgrade for owners of the AF101, I'm sure that many would be prepared to pay for such. How about it Panasonic?

Geoff.

Return to posts index

Thomas Alexander
on Jan 26, 2013 at 11:35:43 am

AG-AF100 discontinuation Is a rumor. BNH has done a mistake on the listing. But it is very likely that we will see a new improved version of AG-AF100.

Thomas Alexander | Independent Cinematographer
Soulman Films | Nicosia Cyprus | +357-97697640

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Jan 27, 2013 at 3:03:01 am

The AF-100 is discontinued and is replaced by the AF-100a. The new model has a few updates.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]