Questions about the AF100 --

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zack hill
Questions about the AF100 --
on Nov 12, 2012 at 8:33:07 pm

Hello fellow AF100 users - I had two questions in regards to my new camera:
Question 01:
When shooting at 1080 - 24 with the VFR set at 60 fps, it seems that the slo motion is not as slow as my HVX 200a when shooting at 720 24 60fps. With the HVX in post, when I need to speed up a clip to normal speed, I usually find that 238 percent is about right, where with the AF100 its exactly 200 percent. Now if I purchase the upgrade to 60fps with the AF will I get the same beautiful slo motion I got with my HVX200?

Question 02:
I shoot mostly surfing from the water, therefore I usually leave the camera set to auto iris for the problem with ever changing light. When I look at the footage in post, when the camera stops down, the change is drastically visible in the footage, almost unusable, where as with my HVX200 set on auto iris, it wasn't nearly as noticeable and much smoother. I am shooting with a LUMIX 7mm to 14mm with the ISO set to 200 and shutter at 180. Any hints to minimize this without setting locking off the iris?

Thank you!
zack
AF100
HVX200a
FCP 7 (still...)
zeech.tv

Zack Hill
http://www.zeechproductions.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Questions about the AF100 --
on Nov 12, 2012 at 9:56:27 pm

Can't say on #1- are you sure you're comparing with the same editing timebase. Are you on a 24p timeline or a 29.97 timeline. As for the auto iris- that's unfortunately why I'd never recommend auto iris. Instead use a monitor with peaking/waveform and a remote iris control if needed. There's no good way to every use auto exposure if you want your shots to be consistently good.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

zack hill
on Nov 12, 2012 at 11:27:35 pm

Thanks Noah - editing in a 24FPS timeline.

Zack Hill
http://www.zeechproductions.com

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Nov 13, 2012 at 2:59:39 pm

The auto-iris problem is probably due to the fact that you are using a still camera lens. They are designed to "step" through f-stops, whereas a TV or cinema lens is designed for smooth exposure adjustments. The difference requires a lot more precision engineering and of course more expense. Some people have adapted Fujinon TV lenses to the AF-100, but it's not cheap, almost the same price of the camera or more. Check out af100central.com for more info.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]