FORUMS: list search recent posts

HMC150 or AG-AC90

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Shea
HMC150 or AG-AC90
on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:56:32 pm

I'm just starting out. Want to start filming weddings, local sports events, a short documentary, maybe even a short ski film (Warren Miller-esque). Which camcorder would be better for my needs: the Panasonic HMC150 or the new AG-AC90? Or is there something better? (I don't want to spend more than $3K.)

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: HMC150 or AG-AC90
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:57:18 am

Jim - I'd spend somewhat less than the 3K and leave room for mics, tripods, dollies and lights. Also, I'd buy a Sony HXR-30U for $1999 instead of the AG-AC90 because it comes with an external mic, shoots 1080/60p, and has an incredible balanced optical stabilization system, as seen here:

Sony Professional: HXR-NX30 - Ed Moore gives his first impressions from Sony Professional Europe on Vimeo.

As for the HMC-150 - it is at least two generations old, lacks 1080/60p and an external microphone and has a slow bit rate (21 mbps). I would avoid it.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

feli arre
on Jul 25, 2013 at 4:45:53 am

Bro! You must be drinking! The aghmc 150 is way way better than sony. Go home!

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Oct 12, 2012 at 3:03:23 am

Jim - I'd spend somewhat less than the 3K and leave room for mics, tripods, dollies and lights. Also, I'd buy a Sony HXR-30U for $1999 instead of the AG-AC90 because it comes with an external mic, shoots 1080/60p, and has an incredible balanced optical stabilization system, as seen here:

As for the HMC-150 - it is at least two generations old, lacks 1080/60p, has no external microphone and has a slow bit rate (21 mbps). I would avoid it.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:12:40 pm

Hi,

The AG-AC90 will also do 1080P/60 at 28Mbs, and has 5 axis image stabilization as well as being a 3 chip camera. Its low light performance is along the lines of 1/3" camera with the BSI chips in it. It has very high resolution chips and the ergonomics of it are really nice. Price/performance winner. Delivering in a couple of weeks.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Charlie Kosheff
on Jan 30, 2013 at 1:23:54 pm

Hi jan.
I have an hmc40. I want to get the ac90 as well. Do you think I can get away with intercutting footage from these cams for a two camera shoot?

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Oct 12, 2012 at 1:00:34 pm

Hi Jim,

I have owned a HMC150 for the past four years, it's a great camera, but it's becoming out of date compared to the newer cameras. The only advantage it might have over the AC90 is low-light shooting, but I can't say for sure.

From what I've seen of the sample footage the AC90 has great image stabilization, much better than almost anything else I've seen in this price range.

I would not recommend the Sony HXR-30U over the Panasonic AC90 because the HXR-30U is a single-chip camera so you won't get the same image quality as the three-chip AC90. ( better resolution and better color from 3-chip cameras )

The only question I have with the AC90 is : What is the low-light performance like? I haven't seen any comparisons with other cameras for low-light work, so this is one area I would want to check out before buying an AC90 camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]