FORUMS: list search recent posts

To buy or not to buy... AF100 questions please advise

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zack hill
To buy or not to buy... AF100 questions please advise
on Jun 30, 2012 at 12:14:08 am

Hello-
I am very close to purchasing an used AF100, but keep going back and forth and need some advice.
Currently shooting with an HVX200a - doing all web work, but clients are starting to ask about 1080 - and most of my stuff is shooting surfing from water. The HVX obviously shoots 1080, but not at 60p which is what I shoot on from the water always.

So, I found a really good deal on an AF100, with a housing and lenses, but just haven't pulled the trigger because of what I have read about the camera online. People complain about the color space and sometimes the ergonomics and that the better option is to fill the gap with a GH2 or a 7D.

My pros:
Good deal for the entire package
Will soon shoot 1080 at 60p (software upgrade correct?)
Can now get DOF that is so hot from DSLR shooters.
Smaller than my HVX
Different lenses.
Audio flexibility like my HVX

My cons:
4:2:0 color space
Older model (upgrade soon?)
NOT P2! (love P2)
AVCHD codec

Sorry if I am rambling, or redundant, just looking for an outside opinion.
thanks
zeech
HVX200a
Macbook Pro
Final Cut Pro (still..)

Zack Hill
http://www.zeechproductions.com

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
Re: To buy or not to buy... AF100 questions please advise
on Jul 2, 2012 at 3:23:03 am

If you’er getting a killer deal go for it. I use the AF-100 for broadcast work without an external recorder with no issues. The only warning I would give you is don’t clip your highlights. They will turn an ugly yellow and that is hard to fix in post. However you shouldn’t clip them with any camera you shoot with.

My pros:
Good deal for the entire package
Thats a big plus
Will soon shoot 1080 at 60p (software upgrade correct?)
Yes
Can now get DOF that is so hot from DSLR shooters.
Micro Four Thirds gives a nice balance with shallow depth of field. Not crazy shallow like full frame cameras
Smaller than my HVX
Different lenses.
This is a blessing and a curse. It’s hard to get the AF-100 to act like a broadcast ENG type of camera. If you like the idea of primes and zooms that don’t have the range of an ENG lenses your good
Audio flexibility like my HVX

My cons:
4:2:0 color space
None issue for me. AVCHD codec is pretty solid. I push it around in post with no issues. Even green screen works fine.
Older model (upgrade soon?)
Next model won’t come out for around a year.
NOT P2! (love P2)
SD cards work fine for me and they are cheap.
AVCHD codec
Same as above.

Blog http://www.eriknaso.com
My Vimeo Page http://vimeo.com/user626030
Follow me on Twitter @ErikNaso

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 2, 2012 at 7:11:27 pm

Yeah to be honest AVCHD on SDHC cards is a way better experience than DVCPROHD on P2 cards. The cards are a lot faster, a *lot* cheaper and AVCHD as a codec is incredibly efficient.

You'll not see a difference in all but the most extreme conditions and when that very slight difference in image quality is compared against the depth of field effects you get with that much bigger chip, it tips the scales for me. The AF100 is a lot of fun.

That said, if you're used to shooting a small chip camcorder shallow depth of field can be a double edged sword- i.e. you're going to be paying a lot more attention to focus than you have had to before.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

zack hill
on Jul 2, 2012 at 9:47:39 pm

Thank you guys for your insight!
I appreciate the feedback.

cheers
zack

Zack Hill
http://www.zeechproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>