FORUMS: list search recent posts

FAT32 4gb limit with AF100

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Angle
FAT32 4gb limit with AF100
on May 7, 2012 at 3:12:08 am

When trying to stitch together multiple .mts files that were broken up due to long recordings, (over 4.1 gigs) there remains a gap of approx 15 audio frames and 1 single video frame with missing audio and video between the broken segments on the timeline. How do I get this information back or is it missing in the recording itself? It is very noticible as the gaps are located in portions of recorded music during a concert. I am dealing with the gaps in Vegas 10 and am wondering if they occur in other editing apps as well. I appreciate any information you can share.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
Re: FAT32 4gb limit with AF100
on May 9, 2012 at 8:48:38 am

Did you try actually concatenating the sequential files? I have found that works with my older Panasonic camcorders. They seem to split the MTS files right at the 4GB boundary. So when you line up clips, you find that sometimes, the break was in a bad place and there's an effective gap, even through there shouldn't be. In my experience, this goes away when you simply concatenate the files (I use the "cat" function in a Cygwin shell, but I the same thing can be done with Windows' Copy function... see http://support.microsoft.com/KB/71161).

-Dave

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on May 10, 2012 at 5:53:00 am

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand. How would I go about using the copy command in order to accomplish this? It's not a gap "sometimes" as you have experienced. It is a 15 frame audio and 1 frame gap 100% of the time. I have sent the .mts files to a client and want to be prepared with how to tell him to successfully stitch them back together when he gets to the point of editing his show. However, I'm not sure of the editing program that he will be using. The gap that I am experiencing is in Sony Vegas and I have no idea how to make the show seamless again.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on May 10, 2012 at 4:57:45 pm

[Richard Angle] "When trying to stitch together multiple .mts files that were broken up due to long recordings, (over 4.1 gigs) there remains a gap of approx 15 audio frames and 1 single video frame with missing audio and video between the broken segments on the timeline."

Hi Richard,

This is the WRONG way to bring your footage in to your editor. All modern AVCHD cameras record seamless long format footage that is broken up in to 4GB segments, that includes all the meta-data required to rebuild long takes back in to one single file on your computer.

For Sony Vegas, you should ONLY import footage using the DEVICE EXPLORER utility that is found under the VIEW menu. This utility will import all of the 4GB video segments and turn them into single video files of the proper length on your computer. No frames lost, no sound missing.

Device Explorer is your friend. :-)

- Guy

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on May 11, 2012 at 2:09:23 am

Thank you, Guy. Just so I understand, ALL of the editing programs should have some secondary function other than the typical "import" function available to correctly bring in 4gb segmented AVCHD footage? My apologies if these are elementary questions. I'm an old school editor but new to AVCHD.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on May 11, 2012 at 5:22:27 pm

[Richard Angle] "Thank you, Guy. Just so I understand, ALL of the editing programs should have some secondary function other than the typical "import" function available to correctly bring in 4gb segmented AVCHD footage?

Hi Richard,

Yes, most of the new editing programs will have an import utility that will automatically stitch together the 4GB segments back in to their proper lengths, so no frames or audio is lost.

The only popular editor that may have problems with AVCHD files is the older Final Cut Pro ( not the new X version ), but I've heard that the ClipWrap utility can sort this problem out for the older Final Cut Pro editor.

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on May 12, 2012 at 3:20:59 am

Thank you very much for your responses. You have been very helpful.

Return to posts index

Pete Appleby
on May 16, 2012 at 1:26:45 am

+1 for ClipWrap. Just use the re-wrap option, and select the AVCHD folder for the input. It will create a single output file from all of the input segments.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]