FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question for Jan Crittenden Livingston re: new Panasonic AG-AC160 upgrade to AC160A

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Crye
Question for Jan Crittenden Livingston re: new Panasonic AG-AC160 upgrade to AC160A
on Apr 18, 2012 at 5:27:33 pm

Hi;

Jan, the genuinely fine people at Panny Pro support are not sure of the answer to the questions below. I have purchased an AG-AC160 which will arrive next week. I would really like to keep it and pay to upgrade it to AC160A level (instead of sending it back to B&H for a refund and waiting to buy a "true" AC160A at a possibly higher price), but I'm worried.

Assuming that I keep the cam and then send it in and pay for the upgrade, will there be any lack of features in my upgraded AC160 and the "true" AC160A? I would hate to find out down the road that there is some subtle difference. For example, is it possible that future firmware upgrades might only work with a "true" AC160A?

My second fear is that the new "true" AC160A will have a better viewfinder eyepiece that provides more magnification for the EVT. I'm sure you are aware of the complaints, people trying DIY fixes such as sticking reading glass lenses in the eye-cup, etc. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks!

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM Vegas 10e (and 11) x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
Re: Question for Jan Crittenden Livingston re: new Panasonic AG-AC160 upgrade to AC160A
on Apr 20, 2012 at 6:00:52 pm

* ping * Hello Jan?

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM Vegas 10e (and 11) x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
Re: Question for Jan Crittenden Livingston re: new Panasonic AG-AC160 upgrade to AC160A
on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:59:19 pm

FYI I returned the AC160 after testing it for less than a day.

Not sure if this is the best forum in which to post my criticisms, seeing as how this is a shiny forum of happy Panny people.

But, if anyone is curious, I can post the text of the message I sent to Jan Crittenden-Livingston.

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM, nVidia FX 570, Vegas 10e (and 11) x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
on May 3, 2012 at 9:50:35 pm

Panny Pro support provided the answers to my questions:

Is this one of the Panny Factory Service Centers that can do the upgrade?
>>support>> Correct

PANASONIC - PBTSC SERVICE 3330 CAHUENGA BLVD WEST LOS ANGELES CA
90068 (323) 436-3507

Two other nagging worries, not sure if you can help with this.
Assuming that I keep the cam and then send it in and pay for the upgrade, will there be any lack of features in my upgraded AC160 and the "true" AC160A?
>>Support>> The upgraded 160 will be exactly the same as a 160a.
I would hate to find out down the road that there is some subtle difference. For example, is it possible that future firmware upgrades might only work with a "true" AC160A?
>>Support> Future upgrades will work with the upgraded 160

My second fear is that the new "true" AC160A will have a better viewfinder eyepiece that provides more magnification for the EVT. Heard any rumors about that?
>>Support>No, VF will be the same.

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM, nVidia FX 570, Vegas 10e (and 11) x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on May 4, 2012 at 4:24:27 pm

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately during the time you have been testing and reviewing the camera on line, I have been out having surgery and going through recovery to repair a rotator cuff injury and a break in my humorus bone. Having just come back the other day, I saw your post to me on Linked in and thought before I respond, it would be better to take a look at a camera and refresh my senses on it before responding.

While I cannot argue your experience, and it may well be that you may have had a faulty camera, but the servo motor on the camera I tested in the lab while being audible close up, I could not hear nor record it from 6 feet away. The build quality is as robust as our AF100 or the DVX100 and is certainly comparable with the competitive cameras.

None the less, sorry I have not been on line for the last couple of weeks, and in fact this was the first NAB in 23 years I have not attended. That was truly strange. I am slowly on the mend.

I still feel that in comparison to the other cameras in its price range the AC160 is a viable contender, but each person has to weigh the features vs the needs and decide for themselves.

Best regards,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Karl Gerhard
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:35:50 pm

Jan,

Can you clarify the price of the upgrade of the AG-AC160? It's on the Panasonic web site as $300. Just got off the listed phone number with the upgrade and they stated $500. What is the correct cost (without shipping)?

Thanks,

Karl

Karl Gerhard
Group Effort Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]