FORUMS: list search recent posts

Would you use an AF100 to document a wedding?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roz Domin
Would you use an AF100 to document a wedding?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 9:01:30 am

I've been looking into the AF100 to upgrade from my Canon XH-A1, I'm drawn to the shallow depth of field for filmmaking. However, I do use my camera for weddings and events as well. In your better opinion, would you use this camera for these kinds of jobs? If so, what lenses and other special equipment would you suggest for the job?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
Re: Would you use an AF100 to document a wedding?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 9:05:17 pm

Depends how you shoot weddings. If you are shooting it with a traditional style it would be hard since lenses are the issue. Not very affordable zooms with the range of most camcorders are available or practical for the AF-100. Unless you get an ENG lens plus a B4 adapter with power for the tally etc.

Now if your shooting it more artsy then that's more doable. I have seen some really creative weddings shot with the AF-100.

Blog http://www.eriknaso.com
My Vimeo Page http://vimeo.com/user626030
Follow me on Twitter @ErikNaso

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 27, 2012 at 9:53:16 pm

I would want to go with fast wide angle lenses and get really good at operating focus before trying this. Otherwise you could wind up with a lot of out of focus footage that would be impossible to reshoot. I'd maybe cover a wedding with one rented just to see and shoot with a standard sensor camcorder at the same time to just see how it goes. (That or maybe do a freebie wedding shoot for a friend to try it out).

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Mar 4, 2012 at 8:39:09 am

Yup... I think an AF100 would be a good camera for certain styles of wedding videography -- what I use my Canon HSDLRs for today. I would not use it as primary camcorder for any paid gig until I was very, very familiar with it. And, as suggested, I wouldn't drop that kind of cash and move that far out of conventional camcorder space without trying it first.

For any paid shoot, I'm going to have the primary camera, a B-roll camera, probably at least one HDSLR, and backup for the prime camera. I'd love to try an AF100 in place of the HDSLR to start with, learn it in content, but only then I'd be comfortable even deciding if I was
happy with the shallow DOF film look as a main camera. So for me, I'd have to pretty much know that's what I wanted before I bought.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:46:01 pm

I use DSLR's for weddings. I would definitely recommend the AF100 for weddings. You'll elevate your look and be able to raise your pricing accordingly.

There is a learning curve as mentioned here, but once you have it down, you'll never want to shoot with a traditional video camera again.

You can also making money shooting for other companies. It's harder to find DSLR shooters or AF100 shooters than traditional camera operators. I also have to spend more time training new hires.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

David Bangura Vidéaste
on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:57:45 am

Here's two weddings entirely shot with an af101. 1=
2=
I would just advice you to be accustomed to manual focus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]