FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic audio settings, I'm confused...

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Coffyn
Panasonic audio settings, I'm confused...
on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:45:51 pm

Although this is in direct reference to our AG160P, according to our sales rep a lot of other Panasonic cameras have the same setup.

Having been shooting with Sony cameras for years I'm trying to get a handle on how Panasonic does the audio.

1. I can't seem to tell any difference audibly between the "auto" setting (AGC?) on the Ch1/2 switches and the internal menu "Limiter" setting.

2. Even with the camera set to auto or with the limiter turned on, it does not seem to be aggressive enough to keep the audio from distorting with louder sounds.

FYI in our traditional one person crew, we normally shoot general ambient/atmo audio with channel 1 set to manual and channel 2 to some kind of AGC setting as backup.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Panasonic audio settings, I'm confused...
on Mar 27, 2012 at 9:11:59 pm

Yeah you have to be really careful with your sounds- if you're peaking too much you need to consider manually riding the levels or an outboard mixer. No limiter is going to catch every overmod.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Christopher Coffyn
on Mar 28, 2012 at 3:31:56 pm

Thanks Noah!
Do you know if the "audio" setting switch on the side of the camera and the internal menu limiter functions differently? The manual really adds no clarity.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:00:54 pm

Limiter and automatic gain control are not the same thing. Limited imposes a hard upper limit to wherever you set your audio, AGC attempts to ride the entire audio level up and down- which generally sounds quite bad as it also rides the ambience level up too.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Christopher Coffyn
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:32:00 pm

Thanks Noah!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]