FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need second camera for shoot with AG-AC130 - GH2 vs AF100?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Frank
Need second camera for shoot with AG-AC130 - GH2 vs AF100?
on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:52:41 pm

I have a Panasonic AG-AC130 which I have been using to shoot interviews/red carpet events/rehearsals/performances of theatrical shows/concerts.

I have a potential two camera shoot on the horizon which would be a 2+ hour theatrical event (full sized Broadway house) and am going to need a second camera for the shoot. The rental agency I contacted said they could rent me an AG-AF100, which made me wonder...as I already have a Panasonic GH2 in my arsenal, and it is very similar to the AG-AF100 in terms of sensor and lenses, would it make sense to simply use the GH2 to shoot the longshot instead of paying to rent the AG-AF100?

I've been using my GH2 for interviews but have been leery of using it to shoot my one-night-only concert/theater event footage as I didn't want to risk losing something to find out how it handles stage lights, depth of field on a stage with moving dancers/actors/performers etc.

Has anybody used a GH2 in such a situation? the event would be shot back of house in a large theater with full stage lights (and a good deal of movement, choreography, etc). Does the AF100 work better in that situation, and if so how much better? (the GH2 or the AF100 would be shooting a relatively static longshot)

Sound isn't an issue as it would only be reference audio for sync purposes (sound feed going into the AC130).

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Martin Verona
Re: Need second camera for shoot with AG-AC130 - GH2 vs AF100?
on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:04:56 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I found you post while looking for info on the Panny 130/160. I shoot events - mostly dance shows or stage productions. Had been using PD150/AX2000 combo. Was looking for a camera with dual SDHC cards for the backup capability.
How fast is the auto focus on the 130 when shooting a stage production. Does it set focus quickly or is there a lag? Also, what is the battery life on this camera?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Martin
Videocam TV Productions

"Memories of today, Recorded for tomorrow."

Return to posts index

Jonathan Frank
on Apr 17, 2012 at 2:18:37 pm

First off, to extol the virtues of the camera let me start off by saying that I ended up buying a second one instead of renting the AF100 - which then led to my buying a third one for a three camera shoot a few weeks ago. Needless to say I love it/them. I've been using one almost every day shooting interviews in a variety of lighting situations or stage productions and have encountered very few instances where I haven't been happy.

I can't speak on the speed of the auto-focus as I never use it. I find that the depth of field is good enough on most stage shows that it stays sharp when moving from end to end of the stage and the moderate up/down stage moments. The only times I have had a problem with things going out of focus are when the lighting is really REALLY low (to the point where I've pumped the gain up to 6...and still have to have the iris fully open). But if a stage show is adequately lit, I am usually in the area of f5 -f8 and things stay sharp (having an 'issue' with that now, actually...where an 'actress of a certain age' is not liking the sharpness and HD...but that's another issue). Given how well things stay in focus, I don't want to use auto focus and have things pulse at inopportune moments.

As an aside...I second guessed myself in one concert shoot (luckily had another camera on that one as well). Was using a monitor that the salesperson swore was adequate for using as a focus assist even though the resolution wasn't as sharp as the LCD on the camera. Don't ever believe that. Your eye will get tricked by the change in sharpness and you will end up second guessing the focus, tweaking it and discovering you were right on the nose to begin with (both the second camera man and I had same reaction). I returned them and bought the monitors I should have in the first place.

As for battery life...I've only used external power once, and really didn't need to. The batteries last 3:15 when recording (more on playback mode) and so far seem true to the readout. I've only bought Panasonic batteries as I hear the 'generic' ones aren't accurate in their 'time left' readings.

I bring along two batteries per camera per shoot and have not had to swap out for a second battery yet.

Return to posts index

Martin Verona
on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:33:11 pm

So you are satisfied with both the clarity of the picture (On my PD150/VX combo I would set focus manually and keep auto focus off usually) and the sound quality of the 130. I have concerns about the PCM audio. My longest shows are 2 1/2 hours but usually there is an intermission to change batteries is needed. The Panny AG 130 is looking better then the Sony NX5 due to the radio interference I have read about. Has rolling shutter been a problem in the edit?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Frank
on Apr 29, 2012 at 3:26:27 pm

The only feature of the 160 I wish was on the 130 was the PCM sound but honestly the sound hasn't been an issue on any of the shoots (even if I have things insanely under the level needed as a safety...or the sound guy changed the feed level without telling me so it was higher or lower than expected). And I haven't had any problems with rolling shutter - but I have been very careful not to move the camera too fast.

Just shot an event that had light levels all over the place (had to pump up the gain on two numbers...both of which were major dance pieces and aside from a little softening of image on the longshot, I really can't complain)

Return to posts index

Martin Verona
on May 2, 2012 at 8:50:10 pm

Good to hear that you got good results. I will be using the AC130 for stage dance productions in a few weeks. Question regarding your SDHC cards. My productions will run 3 shows 90 min each all in one day and 2 shows 2 1/2 hours plus each. Which combo of SD cards would you recommend i.e. 32GB or 64GB?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Frank
on May 5, 2012 at 2:54:28 am

I've been using a pair of 32gb cards (recorded simultaneously as redundant backup...which...knock wood...I haven't needed). Record time on highest quality is 3hr15

Return to posts index

Martin Verona
on Jun 21, 2012 at 3:33:04 pm

Hi Johnathan,

Well I finished with the stage productions. My longest show was a bit under 3 hours. All the footage fit on one card but I used relay recording on 2 of the longest shows just to be safe since I had a back up cam recording it as well. This was a big change over the PD150 where they would have to hold the curtain so I could change out my 80 min. mini DV tape.

My backup is a Canon 10XA - the battery on that one is good for almost 5 hours. I did go AC with both cams so power wasn't an issue. Why can't Panasonic come up with a 5 hour battery for this cam. They make batteries for every day use, I find it hard to believe that they can't.

The picture quality and iris control blows my PD 150 away. Even when the stage lights were a bit hot the Panny kept the picture sharp and colors nicely balance and iris control was easy. I used the Preset white balance and it was fine.

The only thing I noticed was some of the audio was peeking in the red when I played it back in Premiere Pro 5.5. Not sure if I was set to auto on the audio or manual for that show.

It would be nice if you could label the files on the SDHC cards so it didn't just show up with a number .mts.
I made sure I shot a show's program with the name of the show and date at the beginning of each show.

Thats my take on the AC 130.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]