FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advise on best lenses for AF100

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
samson alli
Advise on best lenses for AF100
on Feb 6, 2012 at 12:51:50 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of buying Panasonic AG-AF100 camera. I intend to shoot lots of shorts of features with this camera. Also, i will be starting a webtv very soon focusing on Africa where I'm from. Hence, I am seeking advise from great minds on this site what are the best lenses outh there for this camera? I have heard lots of great things about the voiglander 25mm .95 lens. I will definitely be buying this wonderful lens. Also, I read from somewhere that a Nanoflash is a must for this camera, is this true? if so, why? I am a firm believer in great audio. What do you guys think about the sennheiser MKH-50,60 or 70? I am open to suggestions regarding good shotguns too.

Samson.

SA

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
Re: Advise on best lenses for AF100
on Feb 6, 2012 at 4:07:56 am

Wide lenses, even very fast wide lenses, won't have the selective DOF that a 50mm or 85mm or longer lens has, especially with the micro 4/3" size sensor.

I use Nikon AIS primes and an Arri Alura 18-80 Cine zoom with our AF100's. Nikon ED zooms are nice, Olympus 4/3" f2.0 zooms are very fast and sharp. The Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 is also nice, but you must use a Nikon to MFT adapter that allows iris control, such as the Novoflex.

I don't think an external recorder is necessary unless planning to do a lot of grading/color correction or green screen compositing.

Good luck!

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Feb 6, 2012 at 11:52:13 am

I have found that the standard Lumix 14-140mm lens to be quite good with a better control of flare at wide angles than some other well known lens. I also use some older Minolta MD mount lenses (I believe orignally a Leica design)such as their 135mm prime with good results. I don't know what your subjects will be, but if you intend using the Voightlander lens at maximum aperture you are likely to need some ND filters if filming in typical African outdoor scenarios. The canon L series lens also work well, but if using those then I would suggest that you consider getting the MTF EFFECT Canon EF adaptor system that gives you electronic control of aperture (in 1/8 stop increments) and lens stabilisation. (http://www.mtfservices.com)

I have found that using a Samurai and recording using the ProRes 4:2:2 format does generaly improve picture quality and perceived resolution even when not doing serious colour grading.

Hanging all these additional components onto the camera does make the system a non-starter if you are interested in run and gun type of work.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Feb 6, 2012 at 5:27:32 pm

Hi,
If you are trying to get a particular DOF or angle of view the following website should help you get there:
http://www.geocities.jp/dvcpro24/lens_calculator.html

It is a lens caculator that our factory guys made. I have found it to be very useful.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, AVCCAM, AG-3DA1, AG-AF100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

samson alli
on Feb 7, 2012 at 1:03:02 am

Jan,

Thank you so much Jan. The link is very helpful! I know I will refer to it often.

Samson.

SA

Return to posts index

samson alli
on Feb 6, 2012 at 10:06:21 pm

Geoff,

Thanks for your constructive response. I really really appreciate your suggestions! Especially regarding the lumix because they are not overly expensive. Yes, I 'll be shooting lots of outdoors mostly in Western parts of Africa. I will check the Canon lenses out too, my problem is they do not have manual controls. What do you think about the Canon FD lenses? Would you prefer them to the L series lenses? Also, since most L series are primarily designed for full frame DSLR cameras, is there any crop factor to look out for on AF100 when using these lenses?

Thanks in anticipating your favorable response.

Samson.

SA

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Feb 7, 2012 at 9:12:44 am

Samson,

The MTF adaptor for the Canon lenses provides control over the iris and also the stabiliser so you have all controls as when on a DSLR.

I cannot comment on other Canon lenses as I haven't had experience of them. I have found Sigma lenses to be good value, in fact my favourite DSLR lens is the Sigma 12-24mm, but I haven't tried that on the AF101 yet.

Using any 35mm format lens on the AF101 will result in a 2:1 crop, but remember that the DOF will be the same as if the lens was used on a full format camera.

Geoff

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:02:06 pm

The canon L-Series is a great looking glass. Great lenses.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

samson alli
on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:22:03 pm

Hi Brent,

Thanks for your advise. I see that you are quite conversant with Canon 7d aswell. If you are to advise me on lenses for 7D, what are those lenses that will make your recommendations? Here is what I intend to shoot with it: Short films(mostly narratives), Music videos, and webisodes.

regards,

Samson.

SA

Return to posts index

samson alli
on Feb 6, 2012 at 8:48:13 pm

Jeff,

Thanks so such insights! I do not believe I can afford the Arri Alura lense for now. However I will look into the Tokina lens as i have heard tons of great stuff regarding the Tokina lens. I think i am way too sold on the Voigtlander lens. I will definitely be getting their wide angle lens. Regarding dof problems, what do you think can be done to control this issue? Also what is your take on the Rokkor 85mm 1.7, Rokkor 50mm/ 1.4 and the 100mm? Also zuiko 35-100mm f2, 14-35mm f2?

Thanks in anticipating your swift response.

Samson.

SA

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:49:40 pm

The Voightlander lens is very good, but remember that if you are using it at f0.95 to get a shallow DOF, then in bright conditions, you are likely to need an additional ND filter to supplement those on the camera. Also remember that with this lens your perspective will be that of a 25mm lens, not that of a 50mm, and this could result in unnatural domination of the forground subject eg, CU of two people, one directly in front of the other, the person nearer the camera could appear a lot larger than the one immediately behind him. For this type of shot I would use a longer focal length lens, something between 85-135mm as this would give the shallow DOF without the wide angle distortion and keep the correct perspective.

The original Rokkor lenses were, I believe, of Leica design and were considered very good. I think that they should work well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]